Please advise on my list of schools---

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post in this thread...hoping to get some advice and guidance--- Here it goes--

Age-22, East Asian American, NY Resident
Cornell undergrad
Overall- 3.57 (Started weak (3.00)...maintain a STEEP upward trend till senior year)
BCPM- 3.45 (Main reason for low GPA-- Freshmen bio (B-) and Orgo (C+/B-))

ECs- Lots of clinical and volunteering in healthcare field/settings. Research in undergrad (not published). Employment as psychiatric counselor/mentor. Teaching and tutoring. Student mentor in school.

LORs- Pretty strong. Along with my committee letter, I have a letter from my humanities professor (I know personally and very well), letter from research professor (whose course I also took, known her for 3 years), and letter from a colleague in the hospital that I use to volunteer in (known him for 8 years).

MCAT- Did not take yet. Aiming for 30+

Schools:

Albany? (<-- Not feeling it..)
Einstein
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
NYU
SUNY- Upstate
SUNY- Downstate
SUNY- Stony Brook
SUNY- Buffalo
U of Rochester
NYMC
UMich?
UMDNJ-RWJ
UMDNJ-NJMS
UPenn
UPitt
Jefferson
UConn
BU
Harvard
Tufts
Georgetown
Drexel
Dartmouth

Okay, I realize I have a lot of reach schools for me... but I'm willing to take a stab at it (also dependent on my MCAT status)... Anyway, are there other schools I should consider given my stats? Also, some of the schools are thrown in because of its proximity to home (NYC). I'm looking to apply to as many NE schools as possible. Are there any other schools that are friendly to OOS?

Thanks for reading!!! Any feedback would be appreciated!

MAIN CONCERN: What are other schools I should really consider?

Members don't see this ad.

It's too difficult to manage your list of schools without an MCAT score (obviously EVERYONE aims for 30+ lol)

What range of scores have you been scoring on the practice tests (if youve been taking them timed)

I would keep all of the NY schools but reconsider BU and Gtown. Both have a huge number of applicants every year

So far, I've taken a total of 2 timed tests. The first one, Kaplan's diagnostic, I scored a 24 (8-8-8). Half way through the course, I took AAMC 6 and scored a 29 (9-11-9), 11 being my verbal. That 5 point increase was with minimal studying.

With exams and school behind me, I can invest all my time into the MCAT. I will take more timed tests leading up to exam date (JUNE 13)...

Hopefully, I'll do better by then.

Another question I have::: How are Michigan schools? Are they friendly to OOS?

Without an MCAT, there's no way for us to give sound advice. It's a huge factor (arguably the single most important).

I think U of Michigan is a bit more open to OOS than Michigan State and Wayne State, but it also has very selective standards. Most of their successful applicants will have A's in Biology and Organic Chemistry. I wouldn't recommend applying there unless you break 36. They get applicants with 33+ scores and 3.7+ gpa's left and right. They probably reject many of them left and right! Why bother??