Please advise on what I should do with the rest of my gap year!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas27

Reaction score
I have 200 hours of free clinic volunteering, which I could classify it as either "clinical" or "volunteering" depending on what I would be missing on my app. I have 80 hours of Meals on Wheels volunteering.

My question is, would 200 clinical hours be enough? For context, I also graduated this year with a 3.68 GPA, 500 hours research with 2 poster presentations, 3 years as board member for a premed college club, and about 4 years as alto in choir. Planning to take MCAT in January 2024.

I applied to about 5 scribe companies this summer but haven't heard anything back, so I'm not hopeful about my prospects there.

I'm trying to decide whether I should prepare to apply in 2024, or spend time trying to get a certification and real job to then apply in 2025. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have graduated, you need to add to the 200 clinical hours. You don't have classes hanging over your head, so get more hours. You must have more hours for non clinical community service... 80 with MOW is not enough, especially if you are out of school.

If you’re looking to add clinical hours, phlebotomy is a good option and a lot of places will train you on the job. Back when I first applied in 2020, an admissions staff person at a fairly reputable program told me I should consider it as my gap year(s) job — really glad I did because I think it made a big difference on my app!

You already received advice on this several months back. It appears you did not increase your hours in any of those activities during that time. Closing as this topic has already been discussed:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.