Please advise! Possible Re-applicant/MPH/slightly non-trad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMbruin13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a long time reader but this is my first time posting on SDN and I'm a little desperate for some advice. This is my profile, should I reapply?

UCLA Undergrad (2008) Science GPA: 3.3, Overall 3.39
UCLA Graduate GPA (Master of Public Health 2013): Overall 3.85
MCAT: 31R
Six years of patient-care/clinical work experience at UCLA Medical Center (anesthesia tech)
Several volunteer experiences

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Research? Non-clinical activities?

When's the last time you applied, this past cycle? Any IIs? If so, how did they go?

Thanks for the reply!
I applied last cycle (2014) to about 12 schools and got 7 secondaries and 1 interview (currently on the under-consideration list at that school).
As far as research, I worked in two labs as an undergrad but no publications and did a little research in grad school.
Activities: during undergrad I volunteered abroad, held a leadership position in mobile clinic, tutored, among a few other community service things... as a graduate did my public health internship in Cambodia (health education development).

I'm also considering applying to a post-bacc this coming year in case I don't make it again... :(
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
you should have applied to a post bacc smp yesterday.

A big part of your lack of success is likely related to poor application strategy. Your UG GPA is below average for allo matriculants, and your MCAT is dead average. You need to apply a lot more broadly the next time around, more in the range of 25-30 schools, not 12. If you want to consider adding some DO schools, you may be able to cut that number down a bit, but I'd still recommend that you apply in the range of around 20 schools even in that case. Seeing as you're from CA, I'd also suggest that you mainly apply OOS, because your stats are going to be below average at most if not all of your state schools. In particular, you should target schools in the Midwest that take a significant number of OOS applicants. There are many excellent schools in "flyover country" that get far fewer apps than do schools on the coasts simply because of location, a fact which you can use to your advantage.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to reapply (to about 20 schools and a few DOs as well) and I have also applied to a post-bacc program for next year as an additional back-up. Thanks again!

Just got my one and only acceptance! I guess anything is possible :) Thank you for the help!!