please advise!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikhildas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

How are you? I just want to ask everyone's advise regarding residency. I am a US citizen and ECFMG certified IMG. Unfortunately, due to some tough situations I passed Step 1 on the 5th attempt and passed Step 2 CS on the second try. Passed Step 2 CK on first attempt. Do you guys have any advise as far as residency goes in the USA? I am from here so I would like to stay and advance my career here. I am looking for any way to use my education and the ECFMG certification in my career choices. If residency is not an option what can I do to stay in medicine related field where I can still use my education from the med school.

I will really appreciate any advises and suggestions.

Thanks!!

-Nikhil

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably do research as a tech and move up from there. Residency is not realistic.

Apply to every family program that takes large swaths of IMGs - that usually means rural, community programs in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you have 3 solid letters of recommendation. Try to do volunteer work AND research during this period you aren't working. Apply to 100+ family programs at the minimum.

If you still end up not matching. You can see if can work as a PA in some states. Also, pharmaceutical companies would be willing to hire you potentially. Research and teaching are also other options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already tried the NRMP? Either way, you can send your CV to programs you are interested in for off-cycle positions with a cover letter stating your circumstances and interest/intentions. Be honest. Research is great, if you can get it, but my advice, get additional training in allied health, (e.g medical assistant, x-ray, CT or MRI tech, sonography, EKG tech, EMT, paramedic etc,) whatever your interest, just gain skills that can get you experience and pay your bills.:luck:

You could try preventive med residency possibly.

You can definitely mark down perseverance as one of your qualities.

Also, I am not trying to be a jerk, but you adviSe someone. In the process, one receives adviCe.

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ask how does one find about off cycle positions? Also doesn't preventive med residency require 1 yr already.
I am an IMG, more than 10 yrs since graduation, just got my GC. 226/94, 230/95, 87/210 are scores. Feel very disheartened:(. Some advice please!!

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ask how does one find about off cycle positions? Also doesn't preventive med residency require 1 yr already.
I am an IMG, more than 10 yrs since graduation, just got my GC. 226/94, 230/95, 87/210 are scores. Feel very disheartened:(. Some advice please!!

Alot of programs have a limit of 5 years post-med school graduation. I would look at FM/psych residencies primarily that have a good IMG history, particularly if they took anyone from your school. You also didn't mention if your school is approved by California or any of the other limiting states, so that could be an issue as well. Looking at programs and sending emails to the program directors of programs that you are interested in with your circumstances could potentially help. I would make them individualized letters, not a form letter that you copy and paste into each one. At the least you should get some feedback from those who are responsible for picking residents about your chances. It will be hard for you, but if this is what you want, it can't hurt to try.

Hi,

I think any 1 year position would suffice for preventive med. I'd think you should at least be able to land a surg prelim position. You then apply and interview for preventive med during intern year.

Thanks for your input guys.
Realistically speaking, I have no chance??::scared:
Being a doctor is being me:(

Thanks for your input guys.
Realistically speaking, I have no chance??::scared:
Being a doctor is being me:(

I don't think your chance is zero, but it is very slim. It would be worthwhile to contact program directors in programs you are interested in and see if they would be willing to speak with you about things. You might be able to find something, somewhere that way. It will take alot of effort on your part to find a position and if this is truly what you want to do, all you can do is try.

I don't think your chance is zero, but it is very slim. It would be worthwhile to contact program directors in programs you are interested in and see if they would be willing to speak with you about things. You might be able to find something, somewhere that way. It will take alot of effort on your part to find a position and if this is truly what you want to do, all you can do is try.

Thanks a lot. Is it okay to write to PDs now before applying? Also how does one get to know about off cycle positions?

Thanks a lot. Is it okay to write to PDs now before applying? Also how does one get to know about off cycle positions?

I would definitely contact them asap. Again, individualize your email to them, don't make it a form email. Those PDs will be able to let you know if their program would consider you or not and how viable you may or may not be. Maybe you could even find an observership out of it and help transition that into a position. Again, this is something that's going to take alot of work to make happen if it even will happen.

I would definitely contact them asap. Again, individualize your email to them, don't make it a form email. Those PDs will be able to let you know if their program would consider you or not and how viable you may or may not be. Maybe you could even find an observership out of it and help transition that into a position. Again, this is something that's going to take alot of work to make happen if it even will happen.

Thanks a lot Thoracic guy. Really appreciate your reply.
Its encouraging though still a very tough task ahead:(

In one of the replies to the poster who failed exams to the extent that a residency is remote, there was a suggestion that she might work as a PA. Does not the PA need to follow (and succeed in) a particularized medical curriculum, followed by a PA residency?