please also rate my very average stats...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBeers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say that you'll be in great shape once you've done your shadowing. Your stats are right at average for matriculants, and your experience is great. A good PS and strong LOR's will make you an excellent candidate.

Honestly, I feel you're in great shape to get into a nice average med school. Probably isn't looking very likely to get into a top private one..but personally I have no desire to go to a school like that anyways. Perhaps you do though since you go to a top 25 undergrad.

Your GPA is low BUT- at a top 25 school its safe to assume that you had to work harder than people at average state schools. Not saying you'd have a 4.0 at the state schools but I would estimate you could have had up to a 3.8 or so...I have friends at top 25's and they do indeed have to work a little harder.

The MCAT is good enough imo...once again it not Baylor/Dartmouth/Yale quality but theres been 32's that have gotten into awesome schools. Overall I think you're in great shape w/ your EC's to get into a really good med school. Unless you had your heart set on a top school don't sweat it man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely hate research. so boring, unrewarding, and isolated personally.

Ah man I'm sorry to hear that...I love research! Maybe you just didn't work on a project that you liked? Without research I'd be so bored in school!

Honestly, I feel you're in great shape to get into a nice average med school. Probably isn't looking very likely to get into a top private one..but personally I have no desire to go to a school like that anyways. Perhaps you do though since you go to a top 25 undergrad.

Your GPA is low BUT- at a top 25 school its safe to assume that you had to work harder than people at average state schools. Not saying you'd have a 4.0 at the state schools but I would estimate you could have had up to a 3.8 or so...I have friends at top 25's and they do indeed have to work a little harder.

The MCAT is good enough imo...once again it not Baylor/Dartmouth/Yale quality but theres been 32's that have gotten into awesome schools. Overall I think you're in great shape w/ your EC's to get into a really good med school. Unless you had your heart set on a top school don't sweat it man.

thanks man, good to know I do have a solid chance. I'm really hoping to stay in California, though so :scared:.

If that's you in your profile pic, :thumbup:. i love lifting too.

oh and going to Anchorage is definitely on my to-do list.

Your GPA is low.
The OP lives in California where the least selective state schools have a mean acceptee GPA of 3.7 and MCAT of 32, so from the perspective of someone who says he wants to stay in California, his combined stats are only slightly low (for Irvine and Davis). If he's willing to attend an OOS school, his combined stats are above average.

Last edited:
The OP lives in California where the least selective state schools have a mean acceptee GPA of 3.7 and MCAT of 32, so from the perspective of someone who says he wants to stay in California, his combined stats are only slightly low (for Irvine and Davis). If he's willing to attend an OOS school, his combined stats are above average.

Good point- I should have been more clear and said just slightly low...it's not a bad GPA at all. I was just comparing it to the mean GPAs of several school..but he is in good shape over IMO

thanks man, good to know I do have a solid chance. I'm really hoping to stay in California, though so :scared:.

If that's you in your profile pic, :thumbup:. i love lifting too.

oh and going to Anchorage is definitely on my to-do list.

Hey right on- I am in Anchorage! I love summers here but I'm not a huge fan of the long dark winters..but if you like skiing or boarding you would like it :) Yeah thats me before an old competition in my pic...message me if you ever come up and we can train :D haha

So I take it that I'm in pretty good shape if I keep everything up. Thanks again guys.