Please, any thoughts on my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIB6234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am re-applying this year to MD only schools.

I went wrong this past cycle because I naively applied to the MD/PhD programs when my stats are too low. Additionally, I applied relatively late in the cycle. I realize it is beyond my abilities to get into the duel degree program. So, I am switching to straight MD. I am graduating this May.

Stats:
MCAT 30 (PS:09, VR:10, BS:11)
Science and cumulative GPA: 3.7

Clinical:
1) worked in oncology ward for a summer, shadowed oncologists, and surgeons on several occasions
2) volunteered in pediatric oncology ward another summer

Research:
1) High level undergrad research for > 3 years at my college known for being tech school. paper being written and possibly published this summer, presentations given via talk and poster sessions.
2) internship and volunteering at a pediatric oncology hospital last summer, returning again this summer. presentation on work given.

Extras:
1) editor of features section of my college magazine and writer, new student orientation program(2yrs including lead position for my college)
2) tutoring, and training new lab members in my research lab
3) dean's list, lots of school stuff, etc.
4) won a competitive, science/service scholarship

Question:
Do I stand a chance at getting into medical school with my stats if I apply early this cycle? my LORs should be ok and my PS should be ok.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am re-applying this year to MD only schools.

I went wrong this past cycle because I naively applied to the MD/PhD programs when my stats are too low. Additionally, I applied relatively late in the cycle. I realize it is beyond my abilities to get into the duel degree program. So, I am switching to straight MD. I am graduating this May.

Stats:
MCAT 30 (PS:09, VR:10, BS:11)
Science and cumulative GPA: 3.7

Clinical:
1) worked in oncology ward for a summer, shadowed oncologists, and surgeons on several occasions
2) volunteered in pediatric oncology ward another summer

Research:
1) High level undergrad research for > 3 years at my college known for being tech school. paper being written and possibly published this summer, presentations given via talk and poster sessions.
2) internship and volunteering at a pediatric oncology hospital last summer, returning again this summer. presentation on work given.

Extras:
1) editor of features section of my college magazine and writer, new student orientation program(2yrs including lead position for my college)
2) tutoring, and training new lab members in my research lab
3) dean's list, lots of school stuff, etc.
4) won a competitive, science/service scholarship

Question:
Do I stand a chance at getting into medical school with my stats if I apply early this cycle? my LORs should be ok and my PS should be ok.

Thanks!

If you selectively select ur schools and apply early u can definitely get in. Look for "fit" to guide the bulk of ur school selection...

I'd add maybe shadowing other types of doctors and some type of community service (but maybe that's under "lots of school stuff). But, your app seems fine to me as is, and I agree with Bern...apply early and selectively and I bet you'll be fine.

If you're into pediatric oncology, maybe do some fun stuff with kids this summer.

I agree with the above in applying super early. Though you should definitely find out what schools are good for you, don't forget to apply broadly either way.