Please Cancel Interviews - Even if Last Minute :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoritis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a PSA :).

I think the true SDN interview # curve maybe quite bimodal. Lots of people going on 15+ when that maybe unnecessary to match, but then lots also hanging out around 3-8 for who even 1-2 extra offers may make a big difference!

So please do us (and the programs) all a courtesy and do not fail to cancel an interview, even if it is last minute, there may just be someone else who can make it at the last second!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I posted this last year, too... but if you wanna be "evidence-based" about how many interviews to go on, then based on this study using the 2003-2008 ophthalmology match data, you should aim to go on about 11 interviews, and anything above that is diminishing returns.

"Figure 1A plots the number of programs ranked by an applicant and the likelihood of matching showing a linear relationship between increased programs ranked and likelihood of matching reaching a plateau after 11 programs." From the graph, it looks like the probability of matching is around 90-95% at that point. The student advisor at my med school always cited this study when she was advising us about how many interviews to aim to go on!

Loh AR1, Joseph D, Keenan JD, Lietman TM, Naseri A. Predictors of matching in an ophthalmology residency program. Ophthalmology. 2013 Apr;120(4):865-70.

Here's the PDF.

Obviously this highly depends on your individual situation, but the confidence intervals on that graph look pretty narrow, so its probably more-or-less applicable to most typical applicants who don't have extenuating circumstances.

So, if you have a lot of invites, consider canceling some random ones that you're not that excited about so they can trickle down to other applicants who might be really excited about getting those. Maybe if everybody collectively does this, then karma will come back around and you'll pick up a second-round invite to a program that you were really looking forward to after someone else cancels it!

Even when you cut down to 10-12, just remember to keep a spectrum of "top" "middle" and "bottom" tier programs, whatever that means to you. Theoretically, applicants could run into trouble with not matching if they only interview at "all the top places" and then for whatever reason end up getting ranked a smidge too low on each of those programs lists.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

- Shemarty
(current PGY-1, I'm from last year's application cycle)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
also, if you're already holding conflicting interviews...please consider giving the lucky recipient at least 1 week to react/change travel plans. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I wanted to let you know that I just cancelled Howard University for next week. Thur Nov 13. If any of you are interested, you should call the program coordinator and ask! I hope it works out for someone :) Coordinator's name is Yara Mackey. Phone # is 202 865-6425 (Office). I'm sorry for cancelling with a week's notice. I was trying to coordinate flights, but I won't be able to make it there on time, so I thought Id post on here to help someone out. Best of luck to all of you! I hope it works out for someone :)

I also cancelled Vandy a couple days ago, and I had 19th AM -- I know several people wanted that date, so try calling in if you haven't already!

Much love to everyone on this thread. This is exactly the sort of attitude that makes ophtho awesome :)

I canceled my Tulane interview a few days ago (11/21 PM session) hope someone gets in off the wait list. if you can get to New Orleans on short notice you should definitely give the coordinator a call to express your interest, she is really nice and hopefully can help you out :)

Cancelled Henry Ford. Good luck to all of you!

Has anyone cancelled a UNC 12/13 interview (Saturday)?

had to cancel my Kresge interview on Nov 19th (AM). Hope you guys get a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
And if anyone has UAB tomorrow AM and is not going, I beg you to cancel even last minute because I have the PM session and really really want the AM session. Also, if you have AM tomorrow and would be willing to switch with me, please message me.

I've already seen interview spots "wasted" at 2 places...including at a Californian program. As a Californian-in-exile, I implore you to please consider canceling interviews you cannot go to, or that you are ranking really low (e.g. 10+).

I've heard the same. I was at an interview recently, and a few people cancelled the morning of... that's a few more potential interviews for people wanting to go to that program that are completely wasted.

It's unprofessional behavior, and I've heard that word spreads around amongst coordinators about this kind of stuff. Please cancel if you know you're not going to make it!

Someone canceled case western just now and it was offered to me. I couldn't make it. It's for Nov 21. GL and hopefully someone can take advantage of it.

Just to update on cancelling. Someone also cancelled Indiana on 12/6 and it was offered to me. I couldn't accept it because it conflicted with another interview, but hopefully someone else can take advantage of it! So good news is waitlists do seem to be moving. I agree and am cancelling interviews as much as possible to help everyone else out. Good luck you guys! I wish you all the best :)

I just cancelled Arkansas on 12/4, so give them a call if you are interested.

Rutgers has an opening on Dec 12 that I couldn't take advantage of. GL.

Just confirmed cancellation of MUSC on 12/4, U Colorado 12/7, and Rutgers 12/12 (PM session). Apologies for the delay-I'm applying with someone, so we've had to wait for both specialities to send out interviews before adjusting. GL!

Just turned down a Palmetto invite for Dec. 6 so their wait list is moving!

everyone has probably finalized their interview schedules, but bummpity bump just in case...

just cancelled my Hershey interview on Dec 12 , because got another invite. GL to all of you!