MD Please Chance me with My current school list (especially for David Geffen) - Current Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drekan311

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. It is not possible to predict your chances for any one school such as UCLA. However, since you attended UCLA you have a good chance for an interview there with your stats.

@Drekan311, you obviously are a brilliant guy/gal. I think you should remove Northstate (many wise SDNers have suggested against that school). From the look of your application, I think you have a great shot at UCLA. I believe you will get accepted at many on your list. As a fellow immigrant, I wish you the best! The wise @Goro , @Faha, and @gyngyn can give you better opinions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Drekan311, you obviously are a brilliant guy/gal. I think you should remove Northstate (many wise SDNers have suggested against that school). From the look of your application, I think you have a great shot at UCLA. I believe you will get accepted at many on your list. As a fellow immigrant, I wish you the best! The wise @Goro , @Faha, and @gyngyn can give you better opinions.
Hi Naruto,
Thank you for your kind words! I added Northstate due to a friend's recommendation and ultimately realized that it was a mistake but It's too late to go back I guess.
I forgot to add that i'm also first generation college student ( parents only got associate degree and job certificates in Vietnam). I completed my secondaries and files in Mid-August so I felt a bit worried that my chance was lowered which was while I posted this thread.

Thank you again! Hope i will get some more feedbacks from the wise SDNers!

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. It is not possible to predict your chances for any one school such as UCLA. However, since you attended UCLA you have a good chance for an interview there with your stats.
Thank you for your comment and opinion! Highly appreciate it :)

Hi Naruto,
Thank you for your kind words! I added Northstate due to a friend's recommendation and ultimately realized that it was a mistake but It's too late to go back I guess.
I forgot to add that i'm also first generation college student ( parents only got associate degree and job certificates in Vietnam). I completed my secondaries and files in Mid-August so I felt a bit worried that my chance was lowered which was while I posted this thread.

Thank you again! Hope i will get some more feedbacks from the wise SDNers!

I don't think you have to worry about the mid-August secondaries complete. I was verified in mid-August and just recently received my MCAT, so I will be submitting all of my secondaries in late August. I was also worried that I would be late but was told that acceptances don't come out until late October and some schools don't even make final decisions until March of next year, I believe. So, I think you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you kill those interviews and you will be golden!

I don't think you have to worry about the mid-August secondaries complete. I was verified in mid-August and just recently received my MCAT, so I will be submitting all of my secondaries in late August. I was also worried that I would be late but was told that acceptances don't come out until late October and some schools don't even make final decisions until March of next year, I believe. So, I think you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you kill those interviews and you will be golden!
Hope your MCAT came out well! Yea definitely worrying about interviews. I'm going to try to do some mock interviews. Do you know or have any recommendation for interview prep?

Here is a more realistic list:

Albert Einstein
Case Western
Creighton
David Geffen UCLA (TOP TOP TOP TOP SCHOOL - Please Especially let me know what you think my chance is for UCLA)
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Georgetown
Keck USC
Lewis Katz
Loyola Stritch Chicago
MC Wisconsin
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
UCI
UCDavis
UCRiverside (ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire)
University of Cincinnati (maybe)
Rochester
Virginia Commonwealth

Concerning Harvard, Stanford and U Chicago, they don't need the donation.
Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a more realistic list:

Albert Einstein
Case Western
Creighton
David Geffen UCLA (TOP TOP TOP TOP SCHOOL - Please Especially let me know what you think my chance is for UCLA)
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Georgetown
Keck USC
Lewis Katz
Loyola Stritch Chicago
MC Wisconsin
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
UCI
UCDavis
UCRiverside (ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire)
University of Cincinnati (maybe)
Rochester
Virginia Commonwealth

Concerning Harvard, Stanford and U Chicago, they don't need the donation.
Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn
Thank you for your comment Goro! I saw that you took out a good amount of schools including UCSD, UCSF, Umich, OSU, ... Can I ask what your reasons are for removing those schools? especially for UCSD, UCSF, UMich and OSU? Thank you :D

Thank you for your comment Goro! I saw that you took out a good amount of schools including UCSD, UCSF, Umich, OSU, ... Can I ask what your reasons are for removing those schools? especially for UCSD, UCSF, UMich and OSU? Thank you :D

MCAT not competitive. And everyone wants to go to UCSD

Honestly with med schools, you just never know what they're looking for. I know 2 guys from UC. One had stellar grades and has a 99th percentile on the MCAT, 4.0 in both community college and univ. He had stats that would take him to UCLA or UCSF or maybe even Stanford. He only got in to USC. The other guy had lower stats. He got in to UCLA. Now I don't know what they did outside of classes and how they did on the interviews but I can tell you stats in not everything. Numbers will get you interviews but what you do during the interview is a different story.

MCAT not competitive. And everyone wants to go to UCSD
Thanks Goro! Yea I know my MCAT is below average for many schools which was why I chose a broad range of schools and schools where my score is within the school MCAT range for matriculants!

I saw on USNEWS that UCLA is 4th most applied school. UCSD didn't seem to have such high pool when compared

Honestly with med schools, you just never know what they're looking for. I know 2 guys from UC. One had stellar grades and has a 99th percentile on the MCAT, 4.0 in both community college and univ. He had stats that would take him to UCLA or UCSF or maybe even Stanford. He only got in to USC. The other guy had lower stats. He got in to UCLA. Now I don't know what they did outside of classes and how they did on the interviews but I can tell you stats in not everything. Numbers will get you interviews but what you do during the interview is a different story.
THanks Swooshpoon! I definitely hope that stats aren't everything! I hope my EC's will compensate for my lower MCAT and gonna try to prepare for interviews! Any advice for interview preparation?

THanks Swooshpoon! I definitely hope that stats aren't everything! I hope my EC's will compensate for my lower MCAT and gonna try to prepare for interviews! Any advice for interview preparation?
Best of luck! I am confident you will get interviews ;)

Reactions: 1 user