Please critique my school list. MCAT 516, GPA 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sofetched95

Reaction score
Please chance me at the following schools for upcoming cycle.
Asian Female graduated in 2016
Undergraduate: Ivy League
State of Residence: NY
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 516 ( 130 CP 128 CARS 130 BS 128 PS)
Research: 3 years in gene therapy (3 publications, 2 national poster presentations)
Nonclinical: TFA, 2 years advocate for domestically and sexually abused women, 3 years homeless shelter coordinator, 5 years CASA advocate
Clinical: 3 years free health clinic volunteer coordinator, AmeriCorps patient navigator/HIV coordinator - currently in my second year
Shadowing: Im not sure how many hours but should be around 70 primarily with PCP
Extracurriculars: ballet dancer, photographer, online clothing business owner
Awards: grab bag of academic, volunteer and research awards

I’ve forgot to mention that I also have TA’ed a few undergraduate courses and served as board members in 2 nonprofit organizations

School list: Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Rochester, Downstate, Albert Einstein, NJMS, Duke, Robert Woods Johnson, Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, Thomas Jefferson, U Penn, Brown, Dartmouth, Michigan, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Vanderbilt, Washington U, NYMC, Wake, Oakland, Pittsburgh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest adding Stony Brook, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Buffalo, Hofstra.
Thank you. I greatly appreciate your inputs. I was considering adding those to my list but don’t want to over apply. Any suggestions on what schools to remove? I really don’t want to apply to more than 20 schools. Likewise, anything else I am missing that I could do to make my application better? @Goro, @gonnif, @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad :)
Of your list, I recommend:

Mount Sinai, Rochester, Downstate, Albert Einstein, Duke, Thomas Jefferson, Dartmouth, Michigan, UCSF, UCSD, Wake, Pittsburgh

ADD: all other SUNYs
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
All other SUNYs

It's up to you to cull the herd.

ECs are great!

Reactions: 1 user
On top of Goro's suggestions, I would still keep WashU, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, and Vandy. With the UCs and Vandy prescreen, you don't have worry about immediately paying for secondaries. If you write well, I see no reason why you shouldn't apply to the Manhattan Titans.

Of your list, I recommend:

Mount Sinai, Rochester, Downstate, Albert Einstein, Duke, Thomas Jefferson, Dartmouth, Michigan, UCSF, UCSD, Wake, Pittsburgh

ADD: all other SUNYs
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
All other SUNYs

It's up to you to cull the herd.

ECs are great!
Thanks for your inputs Goro. I will work on finalizing my list and get your inputs again when application time nears.

On top of Goro's suggestions, I would still keep WashU, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, and Vandy. With the UCs and Vandy prescreen, you don't have worry about immediately paying for secondaries. If you write well, I see no reason why you shouldn't apply to the Manhattan Titans.

Thank you. I was a little surprised too that Goro removed most of the top schools on my list but understandable considering my MCAT is on the low end. I was hoping my ECs and passion would pull me through for some of these schools.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was a little surprised too that Goro removed most of the top schools on my list but understandable considering my MCAT is on the low end. I was hoping my ECs and passion would pull me through for some of these schools.
The higher you want to climb, the slipperier that pole gets.

Yeah, very possible that places like Columbia or NYU might bite with the stellar ECs. The Ivy League pedigree might help you too, if you're lucky.

It has for me. Don't be discouraged, just apply smartly.
That is very encouraging. Do you mind me asking what schools you have had success at? I am assuming we have similar stats. I can PM you if you’d like.