PLEASE do everyone a favor and READ THIS! ^_^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZDMaestro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, please, please... Let's be careful about using the percent sign (%) when we actually mean percentile.

Saying something like "86%" when referring to, say, the CARS section leads [hopefully] most of us to believe you mean "86% correct answers" rather than "86th percentile." But I'm getting a strong feeling that many people are posting "86%" when they mean "86th percentile." This makes data difficult to interpret. I'm particularly speaking about comparing practice tests and the % correct vs. percentile score on the actual test.

I don't mean to be that guy—I'm pointing it out early for everyone's sake. Carry on!

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC gave us our preliminary PERCENTILE RANKS with a % sign on them. That's why everyone is doing what they are doing.

Side note: Who knew that there was a difference between percentile ranks and percentiles? Not this guy :p lol

Last edited:
Please, please, please... Let's be careful about using the percent sign (%) when we actually mean percentile.

Saying something like "86%" when referring to, say, the CARS section leads [hopefully] most of us to believe you mean "86% correct answers" rather than "86th percentile." But I'm getting a strong feeling that many people are posting "86%" when they mean "86th percentile." This makes data difficult to interpret. I'm particularly speaking about comparing practice tests and the % correct vs. percentile score on the actual test.

I don't mean to be that guy—I'm pointing it out early for everyone's sake. Carry on!
How about you use common sense and figure it out :)

Reactions: 1 user
How about you use common sense and figure it out :)

How about some people are using them interchangeably sometimes in the same sentence where the numbers can easily go either way. Users Xenith and mcatjelly made that compilation with the % sign on the percentiles, but that is an example of it being obvious and super intuitive, so it doesn't matter and all is gravy, baby. But for many others this isn't the case...