Please evaluate my portfolio :P

Started by trantua4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Turns out that missouri requires 2 semester of psychology and I only have one completed. I am 22 credits away from finishing my Applied Biology degree, so i have all the pre-reqs done.

In case i plan on applying to missouri, am i required to take another semester of psychology before applying?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My job shadowing experience has been somewhat lacking. I have about 20 hours of job shadowing, and i feel like this is what will hurt me. Currently, i am job shadowing for 3 practices (private/commercial optometrist and ophthalmologist). My goal for this summer is hit 100 hours of job shadowing and do more volunteering work.


Is 20 hours of shadowing really not good? I have about 25 and that includes several times of just sitting down for a Q&A with an optometrist. Whenever the amount of shadowing hours is brought up it seems like everyone just says "there is no required amount." How many hours do I need to be competitive?
 
Is 20 hours of shadowing really not good? I have about 25 and that includes several times of just sitting down for a Q&A with an optometrist. Whenever the amount of shadowing hours is brought up it seems like everyone just says "there is no required amount." How many hours do I need to be competitive?

Contact the schools that you plan on applying to and ask them.
 
I spoke to an advisor at michigan's college of optometry the day after i took my oat (the main reason why i ran out of time to study). He told me that i had an 80% of getting in, but the one thing that is holding me back is the amount of job shadowing experience.
 
I spoke to the adviser at MCO and he said that i had an 80% of getting in. My weakpoint is my lack of job shadowing. I didnt ask him for the exact number, but he suggested that i try to follow more optometrists and a few ophthalmologists.
 
Trantua4----what about the other schools on your list? Have you spoken to them about your chances of getting in?
 
Sorry, i didnt mean to post so many times. I only spoke to MCO because I attend Ferris, and the optometry program is part of the school. Right now im just basing it on the entering profile.