Please give me advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Todafullest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers

I went to three different colleges. I started off from one of top university. But, I failed so bad. I have like 1.5 GPA from there. After that, I went to community college (2.8 GPA), transferred to 4 year state university and graduated there (3.3GPA). I have an overall GPA of 2.95 and sGPA of 2.75.
I applied to dental school for 2010 cycle and got 1 interview from in-state dental school. But, I did not get in. I took DAT twice, first on July 2009, 19/20/21 (AA/TS/PAT) and second on October 2009, 21/20/20 (AA/TS/PAT)
I am going to masters program in UMDNJ this Fall for 1 year and planning to reapply. Also, I took my DAT for the third time on July 19th and got 23/22/23 (AA/TS/PAT). I really want to apply this summer for 2011 cycle if I have pretty good chance. I do not want to waste my money and energy if the chance of getting in is slim.
I have decent hours of volunteer, research, shadowing, and extracurricular activities.
Would you recommend applying for 2011 cycle (applying this summer) or 2012 cycle. (applying next summer)?

Thank You so much for your advices

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should apply to your state school again and maybe a few others. Other than that, I don't think you have the greatest chances. Since you're enrolling in a graduate program, some schools may not even make a decision on your app until they receive your Fall grades, and it may be too late by then. You will probably at least get an interview at your state school again and if you get in, you can avoid having a gap year after you complete your Masters.

Hello SDNers

I went to three different colleges. I started off from one of top university. But, I failed so bad. I have like 1.5 GPA from there. After that, I went to community college (2.8 GPA), transferred to 4 year state university and graduated there (3.3GPA). I have an overall GPA of 2.95 and sGPA of 2.75.
I applied to dental school for 2010 cycle and got 1 interview from in-state dental school. But, I did not get in. I took DAT twice, first on July 2009, 19/20/21 (AA/TS/PAT) and second on October 2009, 21/20/20 (AA/TS/PAT)
I am going to masters program in UMDNJ this Fall for 1 year and planning to reapply. Also, I took my DAT for the third time on July 19th and got 23/22/23 (AA/TS/PAT). I really want to apply this summer for 2011 cycle if I have pretty good chance. I do not want to waste my money and energy if the chance of getting in is slim.
I have decent hours of volunteer, research, shadowing, and extracurricular activities.
Would you recommend applying for 2011 cycle (applying this summer) or 2012 cycle. (applying next summer)?

I strongly think you should apply it this year. The dental schools would be glad to see your improvement of stats. But, please do so in the next two weeks or so. You need to be early to be on track ...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are reapplying, why on earth did you not submit your app the first day that the cycle opened up since you already had a good DAT score to submit?

And why wait so much time between Oct '09 to July '10 to take DAT for a 3rd time?

I'd be prepared to answer such questions in an interview.

If you can apply within the next 2 weeks without too much hassle I would go for it. Apply to just a few schools (5 or less) and make sure they're schools that don't require high GPAs.
There is a chance, a decent one, and it's only there if you take it.
You have nothing to lose but some cash (try not to apply to too much schools so its as little as possible, you can always work and make more money) but I would take the risk.

If you don't get in, at least you won't be sitting around thinking, hmmm what if I tried that cycle... And you can always continue with the masters, do well, and get in. Based on your DAT scores it seems like you can do it if you put your mind to it.

In the end, you will get into dental school. You are so determined. Keep your goal in mind and none of this will matter when you're finally a dentist.

Good luck!

If you are reapplying, why on earth did you not submit your app the first day that the cycle opened up since you already had a good DAT score to submit?

And why wait so much time between Oct '09 to July '10 to take DAT for a 3rd time?

I'd be prepared to answer such questions in an interview.
I did not plan to apply for this cycle originally. I just wanted to improve my Total science score on DAT to offset my low GPA. But, now, I feel like I might be able to get in for this cycle.

Last edited:
I think you should apply to your state school again and maybe a few others. Other than that, I don't think you have the greatest chances. Since you're enrolling in a graduate program, some schools may not even make a decision on your app until they receive your Fall grades, and it may be too late by then. You will probably at least get an interview at your state school again and if you get in, you can avoid having a gap year after you complete your Masters.
I am worried because my GPA had went down from 3.02 to 2.95 and my science GPA also went down to 2.75 from 2.78 in my senior year. Also, I heard that some dental schools don't like seeing reapplicant in two consecutive years. Do you guys know how dental schools think about reapplying in two consecutive years?

Last edited:
I am worried because my GPA had went down from 3.02 to 2.95 and my science GPA also went down to 2.75 from 2.78 in my senior year. Also, I heard that some dental schools don't like seeing reapplicant in two consecutive years. Do you guys know how dental schools think about reapplying in two consecutive years?

I wouldn't be as worried about the fact that you are reapplying as I would about your already low GPA actually going down your senior year. That doesn't look good.

Hello SDNers

Regarding the school you got an interview from, did you contact them and ask if there was anything specific they wanted to see improvement in for the next cycle? If so, and if you've done what they've ask, I say it's a good shot.

That would be assuming that the reapplicant presents with the same credentials. It does not appear to be your case and a 23 will get you noted.