Please give me some answers, my future career could depend on this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crescent

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to do dentistry, research, but most of all work with kids....

Is there any room in the dental world for all three? If so how?

Can you do dentistry and research something like throat cancer at the same time?

I know that my purpose in life is to help people. This would fulfill me. Do anyone in dentistry think that they are fully fulfilling the requirments of helping people through dentistry and if so how?

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question, yes. You should look into UCSF in California, they're right up your alley. If you want to do research you should choose a school like PENN, UCSF or Harvard. I am interested in oncology and AIDS research, and is one of the reasons I chose UCSF. Anything is possible, if you want to spend 1/2 your day in a pedo clinic, and the other 1/2 in oncolab, you can do it.

------------------
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it is your gift back to God.
--Leo Buscaglia

smiledoc...I had no idea you could do oncology with DDS degree...please provide more info on that possibility if possible

Rock-
In general, those with DDS degrees enter the health care delivery system as GP's, but some wish to do research. I would recommend a dual degree (DDS/Ph.D) for those looking into research, but depending on your training and the school you go to, you could do it after 4 years. I'm interested in oral cancer, and AIDS manifestations, but I'm still leaning towards private practice. Who knows, I may just end up at UCSF's Oral Cancer Research Center (OCRS).

------------------
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it is your gift back to God.
--Leo Buscaglia

[This message has been edited by smiledoc2004 (edited 07-27-2000).]