Please help a frustrated student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryudo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to be honest and do not worry about hurting my feelings.
GPA 3.89
MCAT 25 I know it sucks.

I have volunteered at two different doctor offices during different summers. I have volunteered at a hospital, and some at a hospital in Mexico. I am a Texas Resident and a re-applicant. I was offered a spot on the wait list but of course I did not get in. I blame the MCAT score and I am working on re-taking the MCAT this July. I have spent the past year working as a science teacher in a public high school. I am 25 years old and determined to be a physician.

I do not really care where I go to medical school (in the United States). Is there any schools anywhere in the United States that might accept an applicant with my MCAT score? MD or DO as long as it is an accredited American program. Even if I have to pay a lot at a private school. I really do not want to resort to Ross.

Members don't see this ad.

Feel free to be honest and do not worry about hurting my feelings.
GPA 3.89
MCAT 25 I know it sucks.

I have volunteered at two different doctor offices during different summers. I have volunteered at a hospital, and some at a hospital in Mexico. I am a Texas Resident and a re-applicant. I was offered a spot on the wait list but of course I did not get in. I blame the MCAT score and I am working on re-taking the MCAT this July. I have spent the past year working as a science teacher in a public high school. I am 25 years old and determined to be a physician.

I do not really care where I go to medical school (in the United States). Is there any schools anywhere in the United States that might accept an applicant with my MCAT score? MD or DO as long as it is an accredited American program. Even if I have to pay a lot at a private school. I really do not want to resort to Ross.

Yes you would be accepted to DO this cycle if you apply broadly. Plan on studying all summer for the MCAT and taking it in Sept. 25 is not a bad 1st go round, especially if you don't feel you were prepared. You could push this over 30 w/ a sig. amt. of preparation.

Just spend every waking hour between now and test time studying and taking practice exams. Check out the MCAT forum if you need study tips.
It will suck, but will be well worth it.
With your GPA you knew all the material at some point, now is the time to learn to apply it to the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback. I could use a little more guidence as to where to apply to. The only DO school in my state turned me down. Which makes me feel I might not be to the standard of the DO program.

I also don't want to confuse things but this is my future on the line so I must ask. I assume a DO school in America is >>> Than an MD school like Ross or SGU. Is this true or false?

Thank you for the feedback. I could use a little more guidence as to where to apply to. The only DO school in my state turned me down. Which makes me feel I might not be to the standard of the DO program.

I also don't want to confuse things but this is my future on the line so I must ask. I assume a DO school in America is >>> Than an MD school like Ross or SGU. Is this true or false?

The general consensus is that it is better to go to a DO school in the intercontinental US versus going to one of the caribbean schools. The other advantage is that usually there is more help for students in the US. I think once you are accepted, you really have to screw up to be dismissed...if you have have difficulties with the material, you'll have more support than you might in a Caribbean school.

The general consensus is that it is better to go to a DO school in the intercontinental US versus going to one of the caribbean schools. The other advantage is that usually there is more help for students in the US. I think once you are accepted, you really have to screw up to be dismissed...if you have have difficulties with the material, you'll have more support than you might in a Caribbean school.

Thank you for the reply. From what I have heard a DO is not well respected. Of course I blame this on bias. But when my patients see my sign with the DO instead of MD really through them off? =/

Thank you for the reply. From what I have heard a DO is not well respected. Of course I blame this on bias. But when my patients see my sign with the DO instead of MD really through them off? =/
true, it's all based on individual experience but overall DO's do have a political and social struggle. I've never had a patient know the diff. the few that have asked regarding where I go to school gave me positive feedback, they had good experiences with DO physicians. I am sure there are negatives too. some doctors are good/some are ***holes, MD or DO.

i am assuming you applied only in TX? you got the right attitude, apply very broadly all over, both MD and DO. you're stats are on the low end but not terrible. you'll never know who will accept you. it'll cost you now but can you put a price on getting that magic letter of acceptance? once you get in, statistically you're going to make it. good luck, keep the dream alive :thumbup:

My old primary physician was a DO, but I never realized it until after I had made the decision that I would apply to both MD and DO programs, after I was more mindful of looking for that sort of thing. I don't think it usually makes it into a patient's awareness. They hear doctor, and that's enough. For an even better example of how your degree doesn't matter in the patient's eyes, I've frequently seen PA's clearly introduce themselves as such, but the patient still believes them to be a doctor.

There's that vain part of me that wants MD behind my name, but it's trumped by the part of me that'd like to do this as a career, and the part that realizes every year I don't get in is $100,000 or more that isn't on my paystub. I think you'd have a good shot with your numbers at plenty of DO programs, and could be in the balllpark with MD ones. I'd retake the MCAT, and next year apply to both.

ryudo,
if you could raise the MCAT score to high 20's, it would make you more competitive at both MD and DO schools. I agree with you that the 25 MCAT may keep you out of US MD schools, absent some other earth-shattering something on your application. You only have taken the test once, I think, so would recommend retaking it. In your situation (someone who has a job, etc.) I would consider taking Princeton Review or Kaplan. I prefer Princeton Review b/c I think it helped my score a lot, but that may be just my bias.

Also, don't forget the rest of your application. Have multiple people read your personal statement to make sure it comes across well.

By the way, I think you meant to say, "Throw them off", not "Through them off"?

I don't personally think patients much care about MD vs. DO, but I am from the Midwest where there are more DO's so maybe I don't know what it's like in Texas.

If you raise the MCAT to 30 or more, or even very high 20's, would think you'd have a shot at one of your state MD schools and some other MD schools, too, if that is your wish.