Please help a lost soul!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentJennifer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am all done with the prereqs but I unfortunately took my time and did not get in on this cycle and will get my degree in Sociology this semester :( So I will have like 1 1/2 years off unless I take more classes.

I am hoping to take a prep course and take the DAT soon. Here is my record, please let me know your thoughts:

Went to 3 community colleges before realizing I was not ready for school (by continously receiving D's, F's etc. in general sciences). I retook those grades though (I think they're still factored in my GPA though :( )

After going and working in the real world, I realized I still really wanted to pursue healthcare, and I was exposed to dentistry my whole life because my father is a dentist and I look up to this man.

So I returned to school, and have maintained straight A's in the prereqs and my GE's and Sociology classes in the past 2 years with full courseloads. So... my GPA still suffers.

Sci: 2.9
Overall: 3.1

Should I even bother with this really nasty, 9 year college history that I have? I really don't mind moving anywhere (even out of the country) to pursue this dream. (I hear Mexico has an approved dental school :confused: )

What are your thoughts? I can take next semester off since I will be done with my B.A. and study for the DAT all day long and take it when you guys recommend to.

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate your help. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

hey there...
for what its worth, you are anything BUT a lost soul. Seems to me you are actually way ahead of the game then most people I know. Atleast you know for sure that thats what you wanna do.

first things first. Your GPA's not stellar; but keep one important thing in mind; I have heard so many people here on SDN get accepted in Dschool based on the last couple years GPA. basically if you can make the adcoms see your GPA going up steadily; you are set. You said D's and F's are what you used to get? now you have a 3.1 cum? looks like you got a lot of A's, so I really wouldn't worry about the GPA thing. besides, your gonna be doing nothing for the next year or so. If I were you, I would take a small load of classes, or a decent amount of classes; just enough so you can focus on some DAT studying. I have a feeling your gonna rock the DAT. you can also take some science classes mixed in with some bull**** classes to up your gpa a little.

9 years is nothing when your talking about a life span. Atleast when you are a dentist someday, you'll be grateful that you are one of the few people who actually got to live their dream.

keep your chin up. if these 9 years didn't go by, you wouldn't be as mature as you are now; and you would've screwed things up eventually. things happen for a reason in life; atleast thats what I believe. don't lose confidence. if you need anything we're here...i wish you the best of luck...

Jen ~

Really, it's going to be fine. As long as your grades are on an upward trend ... which...really seem to be from what you've written, it's all good. You have plenty of time to do superb on the DAT and like phospho said...take something...anything...particularly science electives in the meantime. Something like a plant class :) or human anatomy...interesting and not so stressful. In my opinion anyway... 9 years...go for it!

The Beach

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice phospho!
Jen-take kaplan if you can afford it. if you can't then their big review book,topscore cd and some schaum's review books are more than enough to do well on the DAT's. best of luck!

PreDentJennifer said:
Well, I am all done with the prereqs but I unfortunately took my time and did not get in on this cycle and will get my degree in Sociology this semester :( So I will have like 1 1/2 years off unless I take more classes.

I can relate to you: I'm graduating this year with my English degree, but I was undecided for so long that I didn't get the sciences done. Now all my friends that started with me are applying to grad school and going off, however, I'm still stuck in undergrad doing prereqs. But you know what? Better late than never!

PreDentJennifer said:
So I returned to school, and have maintained straight A's in the prereqs and my GE's and Sociology classes in the past 2 years with full courseloads. So... my GPA still suffers.

D-School looks positively towards upward grade trends... this is a plus :thumbup:.

PreDentJennifer said:
Sci: 2.9
Overall: 3.1

Your overall is decent, but your science is a little weak. However, nothing that stellar DAT scores can't save! You have 1.5 years... study for the DAT like hell!!!

PreDentJennifer said:
Should I even bother with this really nasty, 9 year college history that I have? I really don't mind moving anywhere (even out of the country) to pursue this dream. (I hear Mexico has an approved dental school :confused: )

Should you bother? Well Jenny, that's totally up to you. In my opinion, you sound determined enough, and I say go for it... you have nothing to lose. Don't fret yet, many fellow SDNers have gotten in to D-School with scores like yours:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=28491&highlight=3.0+club

PM if you (or anyone else) needs anymore help.

Pce,

bus

You are all such wonderful and inspirational people and I would like to thank you, so "THANKS :p !"

When is a good time to take the DAT? I am off starting December. I can either take next semester off, take the DAT and then go on a volunteer trip to an underserved area to help my application (and it would be a wonderful experience!). Or take a few courses and stay here. So any advice on when to start studying and when to take the DAT as well as classes or trip would be really great. I am just not sure where to go from here . Believe me when I say I am a lost soul :confused: I got myself up to this point and I just got lost :(

Thank you very much for all of your help. I owe it back to future applicants after me.

Edit: Correct GPA is non-sci: 2.8, BCPM: 3.0, Overall: 2.9 (these count the old grade and retakes, I don't know if that applies on the app)

Jen - here's what I would do: From what I've read, it seems that you will be applying for the next cycle, so IF I was you I would do the following:
- Take as many classes as I could in the Spring for my degree. (and of course do well in them, only As and Bs)
- Take the whole summer off and study for the DAT. Take it no later than early Sept. (need to be very focused and do well to "prove" yourself)
- In the Fall, finish off what I have left in my degree and take 1 or 2 upper division science classes (physiology, biochem should be top choices)
- By then I would assume you'd be done with taking sociology classes so I would take at LEAST 3 upper division science courses like anatomy, cell bio, histology, etc.

A couple of reasons for my suggestions: since you're a non-science major and your GPA is low, you need to "show" schools you can handle a semester taking upper division science classes all together and do well in them. Actually I would even reverse my suggestion and take the upper division science classes first (before finishing off sociology classes) and do very well on them: why? because this way, the schools will have a chance to review your transcripts and this will show them that you are capable of handling a tough load and do well. For instance, now that I applied (early in the summer), schools will get a chance to see my transcripts for the classes I took through the summer (even though they will get updated transcripts for the Fall in December, but by Dec. hopefully they have made their choice).

Realize that no matter what road you take, it will take some very hard work and a strong commitment on your part. Good luck with whatever you decide!