Please Help, Advice Needed! What school to apply to?

Started by cdarnay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cdarnay

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone could provide any information about the competiveness of the following school (acceptance rate, don't accept many from out of state, etc), I would gladly appreciate it. Any guesses on chances at any of these schools and how many school you recommend applying to (I was thinking around 10-12)? Any recommendation for any schools not on list that take lower stats (GPA~3.5, GRE:Math-600, Verbal-500)

UMD-Baltimore (in-state)
Med University of South Carolina
Univ of South Carolina
Marymount Univ
U Miami
U Florida
VCU
ODU
Med College of Georgia
Elon
Univ South Florida
Armstrong Atlantic State Univ
University of Saint Augustine
NOVA SE Univ
GWU
University of North Florida
 
As far as VA schools, VCU is prob. gonna be the most competitive, but don't let that sway you. I've met several pt's from there and they are incredible therapists. ODU and Marymount have pretty low gre standards (around 450 for both sections), so you should be good there. You may want to check out Shenendoah U. as well; they've been recommended to me by pt's, and they don't post a min. gre requirement. As for out-of-state acceptance rates, usually PTCAS or the school's actual sites will list their rates. Don't forget, most of these Va school's deadlines are coming fast-Nov. 2nd. Good luck!
 
Well, I'm inclined to refer you to MUSC because I live in SC, and my sister is a student there. She's in training to be some kind of doctor, not a PT, and she tells me the classes are tough, even though her pre-med and SAT/MCAT/ACT/whatnot performance has been pretty damn good. I'm hoping I can get accepted to MUSC when I have a BS, or to USC. Either way the acceptance requirements are quite stringent, with USC only accepting 16 students per year out of hundreds of applicants, and around the same proportion for MUSC.

I must warn you though that my mom's coworker (an accomplished OT) told me that PT schools in SC are sub-par in that they give less training (not necessarily less rigorous).

My $0.02.