Please help! Advice on research opportunities.

Started by leenkh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leenkh

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just graduated from medical school overseas and I have started studying for the USMLE exams. However, in order to avoid having a gap year on my CV, I've been thinking about doing some research in the meantime. My questions are:
* What are my chances of getting a paid job if I have no previous experience in research? ( I have a greencard so this shouldn't be a problem)
* Since I am an MD but not licensed in the US, should I be applying for the position of a research assistant, research associate or postdoc fellow?
* Does a paid job have a clear advantage over a research volunteer (when I apply for my residency that is)?
Thanks!
 
I was just offered a volunteer job at a really good project at a good hospital. Is it advisable that I take it or should I wait to get a paid job?
 
HI ! I'm in a similar situation as you where back in 2013. I've applied to so many RA positions, with no luck.
Or let me rephrase it's not lack of luck, but lack of experience. I've also tried emailing Principal Investigators and hasn't worked either.
So, what's the end of your story??
I still have 2 yrs left and I'm still pretty desperate but hopeful..

-Zero.Experienced.Research.Enthisiast