Please Help! Another Retake Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

510brody

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my understanding is that DO schools accept the highest grade on retakes. Now I have a couple of courses where it took me 3 tries to get an A out of the course. Would they frown upon this scenario or do they accept the high grade as-is no matter the number of retakes required to receive this higher grade. Hopefully this makes sense. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

So my understanding is that DO schools accept the highest grade on retakes. Now I have a couple of courses where it took me 3 tries to get an A out of the course. Would they frown upon this scenario or do they accept the high grade as-is no matter the number of retakes required to receive this higher grade. Hopefully this makes sense. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance :)

They replace with the latest retake, not necessarily the highest. EX: first shot, F, second shot C-, last shot D .... you get a D, not a C -. However, if your 3rd shot was your highest grade, then yes ... that is what will be calculated into your GPA. All will still show up on your official transcripts from your university, and it could raise questions somewhere, but just deal with it/explain it then.

They replace with the latest retake, not necessarily the highest. EX: first shot, F, second shot C-, last shot D .... you get a D, not a C -. However, if your 3rd shot was your highest grade, then yes ... that is what will be calculated into your GPA. All will still show up on your official transcripts from your university, and it could raise questions somewhere, but just deal with it/explain it then.

I've never applied before since I still have two years left, but is there a separate application to D.O. school and then one for aacomas? Because my understanding is accomas averages out the grades.. I'm really confused?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add my question to this thread so as not to clog things up:

I got a C in Chem II and it's my ONLY C (it irked like hell, seriously regretting taking this over the summer) should I bother trying to retake it? I'm confident that with a different professor (my teacher was an awesome person, gave the worst tests possible) I could score an A...

I've never applied before since I still have two years left, but is there a separate application to D.O. school and then one for aacomas? Because my understanding is accomas averages out the grades.. I'm really confused?

Yeah, you have some confusion going on there ... let me see if I can clear it up:

There are two separate application systems, one for MD schools called AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) and one for DO schools called AACOMAS (American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service). If you are applying to both MD and DO schools then you have to fill out primary applications for both of these services.

AMCAS (MD schools) averages retakes. AACOMAS (DO schools) only factors in the most recent retake into your GPA :)thumbup:).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions on this thread, I'll answer them.

I'll add my question to this thread so as not to clog things up:

I got a C in Chem II and it's my ONLY C (it irked like hell, seriously regretting taking this over the summer) should I bother trying to retake it? I'm confident that with a different professor (my teacher was an awesome person, gave the worst tests possible) I could score an A...

No. You passed and really shouldn't waste your time. Your grades for chem will look like this: I. Great II. Average III. Great IV. Great. Easily explainable and easy for ADCOMS to see that it was an exception, nothing more. I would personally just make sure you didn't get any more C's in chem classes and did well on the PS section of the MCAT.

No. You passed and really shouldn't waste your time. Your grades for chem will look like this: I. Great II. Average III. Great IV. Great. Easily explainable and easy for ADCOMS to see that it was an exception, nothing more. I would personally just make sure you didn't get any more C's in chem classes and did well on the PS section of the MCAT.

I got a B+ in Chem 100 *the pre gen chem class* a B in 101 and a C in 102...

Right now I have a B in Ochem but after this next exam it will hopefully be bumped to an A. And I have an A in physics I

I just can't seem to shake these B's D<

I got a B+ in Chem 100 *the pre gen chem class* a B in 101 and a C in 102...

Right now I have a B in Ochem but after this next exam it will hopefully be bumped to an A. And I have an A in physics I

I just can't seem to shake these B's D<

You just need to make the highest grades you can instead of worrying about it all the time. Because it will seriously affect your test performance. You'll get to the exam thinking "Okay, I have to make a 92 on this test and a 85 on the final to make an A in the class" and it's too much pressure.

If it's your only C and it's in Gen Chem, I'd make sure to do well in Orgo I/II. That way you show that one bad grade was a fluke and that you did well in upper level coursework in the same discipline. Don't make anymore C's and do whatever you need to do to make A's and B's! That rhymes! Therefore, I should be a rapper, not a lowly pre-med.

:eek::eek:ok so I will add to this thread... I currently have a C in Gen Chem I and will be lucky to get a C in Gen Chem II. Obviously chem isn't my cup of tea and i've hired tutors as well as studied for these exams. I haven't been able to shake them... With a C in Bio 1 as well... the C's are killing me and my GPA. I have to take Organic Chem I in the Spring... ( I have made A's in the Chem labs...)

Any suggestions on how to improve test grades especially on chem?? Any tips AT ALL about Chem.. ugh!

I know that DO schools cut you a lot more slack than MD schools when it comes to retakes, they take your highest grade and neglect the others in making GPA calculations. They also do not count Fs when calculating you GPA. I am not sure if repeating a class more than once is frowned upon but its best to not have a habit of doing it a lot.

Drmom2b,
I would get through your semester right now and for now not worry about the next...if you end up with that c in gen chem I take chem II and just do nothing but study...as for orgo chem, some people get through it better than gen chem...i for one think orgo is way easier than gen chem...but if the C's continue to come youll want to get rid of them cause as you see they will lower your gpa