Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Please help ANYONE!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jafari, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jafari

Removed

Pre-Dental
    Hello everyone,

I have a hug problem. I wanted to know if dental schools will not accept me since I have blindness in my right eye. I can work really well with my hands and have taken numerous ceramics and sculpture courses and my impairment did not effect me. Please let me know if anyone has ANY information. Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    *tries to refrain from making a comment on your "hug problem"*

too late :p

Anyway, I don't know... it might be kinda rough proving that you can work around your lack of depth perception. I don't think anyone here can really help answer your question. You should contact the schools directly.

4. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    If something happens with your other eye, what would you do? Is it worth investing that much money with something that risky?

5. jafari

Removed

Pre-Dental
    Please give me positive comments. I got a 20 on DAT and 23 on the PAT so I dont think I should have a problem with depth perception. Moreover, what would happen if you got in a car accident and you lost one of your hands? I cannot possibly think so negative.....

6. Theillestill

Theillestill hold the mustard
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    so how blind is you're right eye exactly. like totally blind, or just a cataract or something?

7. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    PAT isn't actually 3D though, it's just testing if you can turn 2D into 3D in your head, which obviously you should be decent at :p It doesn't test your interaction with 3D objects because most people have both eyes.

Are you looking for an answer to your question, or are you looking for positive comments? For an answer to your question, contact the schools.

8. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    There's a big difference between being a realist and negative.

9. DDSguyLA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    im sure there are laws and regulations and Disabled Acts...
    you'll have to contact the schools and find out for yourself.

10. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    IMO, ask the schools you are going to apply. best of luck

11. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    in my opinion add one "IMO" before your comment. I am sure there is some minimum requirement regarding disability. :)
    maybe it is better we wait for "doc thootache" he is familiar with regulations more than anybody.

12. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    actually, i think blindness in one of your eyes may actually help you. all of the schools welcome diversity and its the law to accomodate people with conditions such as yours.

i actually think it could HELP you get into dental schools.

i don't think being blind in one eye would prevent you from practicing dentistry. besides, you could always end up teaching or going into pathology, etc.

don't let that stop you. i think schools would be more than willing to make any accomodations and i think it would actually look good on your app.

if i were on the ad com, i would favor people like you because it shows that you don't let things stop you from preventing your goals.

you could even write about it in your personal statement. talk about how you've been able to overcome your blindness in one eye and you were soo determined to be a dentist that you decided you would never let anything stop you. people will understand and like that. play it up and use it to your advantage!

13. Black Teeth

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm really sorry to hear that you have blindness in your right eye. I can't imagine how much more difficult it is for you to do regular things that most of us take for granted. I give you tremendous credit for the courageous effort you've made so far. I read your problem and I feel bad for you, especially when you seem like you genuinely want to be a dentist. The fact that you took many ceramics and sculture courses tells me that you are probably very graceful with your hands which definitely helps with dentistry. I wish I could help you but the only thing I can offer you is my honest opinion and unfortunately, it's not a good one. I don't think a dental school will accept you based on your disability. And even if one did, I don't think that any state will grant you a license to practice dentistry and this is the biggest obstacle. There is no point in going to dental school if at the end of the road, you cannot obtain a dental license. Dental licensing boards cannot in good faith grant you a dental license if they feel that your disability may pose a danger to the general public. You have to remember that the main reason dental licensing boards exist is to protect the public. Although what I have to say may not be what you want to hear, please bear in my mind that I'm only trying to help and I don't want to see you waste your time and money. Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further. Best of luck to you.

14. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if i were you i'd totally be going for it, but i would contact the directors of admissions to the schools you plan on applying to, and i would also talk to the state licensing board to find out if they would not grant you a license.
    congrats on the DAT, and good luck

15. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ^:thumbup: agree, I did some research in schools, all of them have a requirements like obsevation, behaviour and.... but none of them talks spacific of blindness or something like that. as I said before we have lots of experts in sdn :laugh: . the best option is contact with schools admissions and explain your situation, it is not bad idea you do some research in schools websites which you are interested.
    wish you the best and good luck :thumbup:

16. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First off, sorry for your affliction...that really sucks.

But, I wouldn't ask this in the pre-dents forum, I would go into the student and/or dentist forums.

I hate to give you bad news but depth perception is incredibly important in dentistry!! I really can't "bold" that enough! Ask people who actually work on patients, it's vital. Dentistry is about fractions of milimeters.

I wish you all the luck in the world and who knows, maybe you can do it. Beethoven was deaf, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder were blind, Toni Iommi (Guitarist for Black Sabath) had missing fingers(on his fretting hand!), dude from Def Leopard was missing an arm. I say go for it just don't tell your patients!!

If I were you I'd ask to visit a sim-lab in your local dental school and see if you can mess around with a drill and a typodont for a while. This is after you determine you're even eligible to become a dentist.

17. Black Teeth

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  18. Black Teeth

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey SDNers. I know you guys are just trying to help but please don't encourage unethical behavior such as recommending to predents that they hide or conceal a disability such as blindness in one eye. Although you may only be joking, some people may take you seriously and follow your advice. A person who has a disability that may effect his ability to perform dentistry to the level of the standard of care and could potentially seriously injure his patients should excuse himself/ herself from treating patients. For many dentists, it means the end of a career in dentistry. One of my faculty advisors from dental school had the same problem. He retired from dentistry due to problems in one of his eyes. How would you feel if your dentist had a disability such as HIV and kept it a secret? Accidents happen all the time in the dental office even when you take all the precautions. I've had a few accidents happen to me over the course of my own career as a dentist. Thankfully, none of them have been serious. It is impossible to prevent accidents from happening. What if this HIV positive dentist accidently cut himself on his dental drill and bled all over the patient? Although having HIV and blindness in one eye are totally different afflictions, they share one thing in common...they both place patients in danger and that is all that matters to a licensing board. They will take revoke the dental license without even losing sleep over it. Furthermore, a dentist who is aware of his disability and continues to practice dentistry on his patients is intentionally placing his/ her patients in danger and is guilty of negligence. If that dentist ever caused even the smallest injury to a patient, the lawyers will find out about the disability and use it to send that dentist to jail and sue them for everything they own. That dentist's life will be ruined and they will lose everything, even their freedom. Just do a google search on this topic and you'll see what I mean. There are tons of cases like this in California alone. You'll see that the punishment is extremely harsh. As many posts have already pointed out, I agree that someone with a serious affliction who is thinking about dentistry should seek the advice of the state licensing board and let them decide. I personally have no problems with dentists who have disabilities. I think it's admirable that they can overcome thier difficulties. Not all disabilities will prevent a person from practicing dentistry. However, I have strong feelings about actively hiding and concealing disabilities that are relevant to the ability to perform dentistry at the level of the standard of care. Patients entrust their safety in the hands of others. The dentist also has a moral and ethical obligation to not risk the well being of their patients. I hope I made my point clear. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade but it's important to remember that many people come to SDN for help and advice and may blindly follow your suggestions because they are clinging to even the slightest bit of hope. I also just wanted to mention a side note. SDN is well known by many dental school faculty people. Many of my dental school professors who are also members of the admissions committee regularly go on SDN to read what applicants say in these forums. I even know some of their user IDs. They would be very disappointed to see people advising others to commit unethical acts. Anyhow, SDN gave me awesome help when I was a predent and a dental student. I'm just returning the favor. For the most part, you guys are giving great advice and suggestions.

#17 Black Teeth, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  19. DentalRocks09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    first off i want to say that im srry that this has happened to u...my heart really goes out 2 ya on this...my opinion about this to be honest is that u should talk to the dental schools in person...u have awesome dat scores and im sure ur gpa is great..u can see just as fine with one eye as u can with 2..but ya seriously talk to admissions counselors at the schools u wanna go to...tell them ur situation..if this is ur passion, i dont believe that this should hinder u from the dream..plz send me a PM..just curious wat nationality r u?

20. jafari

Removed

Pre-Dental
    Thank you everyone for your support. I KNOW that I can be a great dentist. I think being honest with your patients is very important. Black teeth, thank you for being honest. I am very happy that so many people care. I think I should speak to the admissions board and see what they recommend. I am middle eastern dentalrock. Thanks again!

21. jafari

Removed

Pre-Dental
    Hell Everyone! I have an interview in two weeks for Loma Linda School of Dentistry and wanted to know what kind of questions they ask during the interview. If you can please let me know as soon as possible, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again!

22. booger11

7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    :rolleyes: "Blindness" has many layperson meanings. Is this an amblyopic eye? At what age did you lose this eye's vision? And to what extent? Is it progressive? Yeah, depth perception is an issue, but over time one gains monocular cues to depth. My dentist had a choroidal rupture in one eye from trauma and had best corrected acuity of 20/200. He did multiple procedures effectively, and had been in practice for 20 years.

23. monkeymorris

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but after having worked in the dental field for 13 years as a surgical tech., I can honestly say that none of the dentists I have worked for have every taken an eye exam to get re-certified. Hope all goes well. I bet you'd be a great dentist. Healing comes from the heart, so as long as dentistry is your passion, how could one little eye stand in your way??

24. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    First, I wish you luck.

I think, like everyone else, you should call the schools and see what they say. Then find out about having a license in a state and if there may be a problem. I think schools welcome diversity but they also avoid risky students. But, I do think that you should give it a shot if the schools give you a thumbs up. But also, they may say it would be ok but in the end decide it may not be in the best interest of their school? It sure would suck but it's def worth a shot if this is what you wanna do!!!! Just do some homework and pick schools to apply to that seems OK with it.

25. bleech

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Nice choice of words :cool: