Please help clarify UC PRIME programs to me!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr4b

Reaction score
Hey all, really hoping someone can break this down for me because sifting through websites and past threads is confusing me further.

Would love to hear from people with experience or who understand these programs better than me! I wish I had known sooner that these programs weren't necessarily a post-A decision, and really wish I could pick up the phone and talk to a real person in these offices :/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay so disclosure, these are all impressions I got by browsing SDN threads from years back and then also going over the school's websites multiple times. The only programs I can speak confidently about are UCSD and UCSF.

For UCLA, I get the impression that you are put into the regular MD pool after being rejected from PRIME, so you're competing for less spots because you've essentially applied to the UCLA regular MD program late. My friend at UCLA (undergrad though) cautioned me from applying to PRIME for this reason.

For Davis, UC Davis, and UCSF, it seems like you're admitted to the regular MD program before you're considered for the specialized programs. The PRIME interviews come later in the season after regular MD interviews. So essentially, by getting into PRIME, you're technically in for the regular MD program too. For UCSF and UCSD, in the secondary, you have prompts to fill out if you're interested in PRIME (I emailed UCSF and then I have the UCSD secondary). For UCSF, they said if you're unsure about PRIME, apply anyway because you can turn down PRIME and instead pursue the regular MD admission if you're in the position to do so.

Okay so disclosure, these are all impressions I got by browsing SDN threads from years back and then also going over the school's websites multiple times. The only programs I can speak confidently about are UCSD and UCSF.

For UCLA, I get the impression that you are put into the regular MD pool after being rejected from PRIME, so you're competing for less spots because you've essentially applied to the UCLA regular MD program late. My friend at UCLA (undergrad though) cautioned me from applying to PRIME for this reason.

For Davis, UC Davis, and UCSF, it seems like you're admitted to the regular MD program before you're considered for the specialized programs. The PRIME interviews come later in the season after regular MD interviews. So essentially, by getting into PRIME, you're technically in for the regular MD program too. For UCSF and UCSD, in the secondary, you have prompts to fill out if you're interested in PRIME (I emailed UCSF and then I have the UCSD secondary). For UCSF, they said if you're unsure about PRIME, apply anyway because you can turn down PRIME and instead pursue the regular MD admission if you're in the position to do so.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share what you've found! It's really helpful to see that tidbit about "UCSF, they said if you're unsure about PRIME, apply anyway because you can turn down PRIME" did you get that from emailing them? It'd be so helpful to know that for SD/Davis as well!

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh and I read into Davis and think you're right that it is post-A. I'm still not seeing it for SD though?

Thank you so much for taking the time to share what you've found! It's really helpful to see that tidbit about "UCSF, they said if you're unsure about PRIME, apply anyway because you can turn down PRIME" did you get that from emailing them? It'd be so helpful to know that for SD/Davis as well!
I did email UCSF. Here is a copy paste straight from their email...uhh but I'll change some wording in case they can ctrl-f it lmao: " Applicants apply for PRIME on the secondary, so you have time to decide, since secondaries have not been sent out yet. If you recieve a secondary and are unsure about PRIME, I encourage you to select your interest in PRIME on the secondary. You acn opt out of PRIME later. "

For UCSD if you can't find it on the website my impression should've come from multiple SDN threads. If you're unsure maybe it's worth an email for UCSD!

I did email UCSF. Here is a copy paste straight from their email...uhh but I'll change some wording in case they can ctrl-f it lmao: " Applicants apply for PRIME on the secondary, so you have time to decide, since secondaries have not been sent out yet. If you recieve a secondary and are unsure about PRIME, I encourage you to select your interest in PRIME on the secondary. You acn opt out of PRIME later. "

For UCSD if you can't find it on the website my impression should've come from multiple SDN threads. If you're unsure maybe it's worth an email for UCSD!
Thank you so much! I'm sending an email and will report back in case this thread helps anyone else :)

Reactions: 1 user
email response was pretty sparse but what I gathered is UCSD is post-A, and secondary is not entirely binding

Reactions: 1 user
I believe from reading the site that UCLA no longer has you at a disadvantage for applying to PRIME - though the phrasing is a tad vague, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I believe from reading the site that UCLA no longer has you at a disadvantage for applying to PRIME - though the phrasing is a tad vague, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.
I'm curious what wording you're referring to? Still trying to make an educated decision on all this!