Please Help...do I have enough time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jentwisl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I started this summer with every intention on following the EK study schedule to tee and then finishing early and doing a load of practice problems and test before I take the test at the end of August. It is now mid July and I am only on Week 3 out of 10 of the EK study guide. I got a new job which was requiring 60hr weeks almost so I just havent been lazy doing nothing. My question is.....I plan on telling my boss up untill the test I want Mon-Thurs off....If I do about 2-3 days worth of material on each day I should beable to cover the entire 10 weeks in time. Should I do this or push the test further back possibly to the end of Xmas break?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you delay your test. It's not a good idea to pack in too much studying in one day over a long period of time due to burnout. Furthermore, EK's 10 week schedule is already a little light (though it looks like you're adding practice problems which would fix this), so having more time would be beneficial. Lastly, delaying would probably make it easier on you because you wouldn't have to tell your new boss that you can't work Mon-Thurs.

Well I valet cars so fri sat and sun are when they really need extra guys so it shouldnt be that big of a deal and since it will only be for a little over a month Im sure it will be fine then I will go back to working during the week when school starts back up.....my question is can i prepare myself in a month roughly when Ive only gotten about 30% of the EK material complete.

I took one of those Free Kaplan practice tests that they offer and I got a 27 and that was before I began preparing and before I finished my organics. Idk...I suppose I should just continue to study alot and when the time gets closer take a few practice AAMCs and if I do well go for it?

How many days prior to the test date do I have to reschedule?

I still don't think you have enough time. EK's strategy is too short to begin with and further reducing the time frame won't help things.

You can reschedule up until 2 weeks before your test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took AAMC # 3 and got a 23 and my weakness were what I assumed.

9 Bio
7 Verbal
7 Physical

My organic is down pat got 1 organic question wrong....my biology weakness I knew were going to be the organ systems and what not just cause I havent learned any of that since freshman bios....so I think with a tad of focusing on those areas I can bump my bios up to atleast a 10 if not 12 ish.

Verbal is a nobrainer..I also scored a 7 on a practice EK verbal test I did out there 101 passages book. I suppose I just need to practice more and there is nothing more to it than that....

Physics i knew would be my weakness just because ive only taken the first physics lecture and my first one i took was with a joke of a proffesor so I flew thru it without learning anything and the chemistry part is just a little old so needs a tad refreshing...

I know a 23 isnt that great but its fairly good for not preparing much thus far eh? And it isnt like my questions im getting wrong are spread across all topics...they seemed to be very focused in general areas of each subject which might make it easier to correct in a short amount of time...

Idk....any input would be great! I think its deff possible that I could improve enought to get a 30 by then but it would take a lot of time and work...my only worry is that when school starts back I wont have time to study for school and then work PLUS still study for the MCAT....i suppose i can get the review done for the most part before it starts back up and then just do practice problems all semester occasionally every week and then cram during xmas break and then take it at the end of the break? Idk...sorry for the long post lol

^^^ you know yourself the best... consider how well you have your content down...if its solid then you can only build on that 23....for an August exam date at this point it should be all about practices test... so consider if you think your ready for that... doint FL with out having a solid foundation will do two things... 1) show you how much you really dont know 2) waste the FL when you could have used once you were ready.

All in all, there is still September. Maybe a solid Month of review would be enough and then hit up the FLs in Mid. August...