Please help! ******ed in pharm... >:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icefan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I read through the other posts on the "general advice for books".... and actually I just got more confused.

So I'm just going to be honest-- I am STUPID STUPID STUPID at pharm. I am not joking or being humble!!

I tried using the pharm cards for 2nd year, and although I passed, I really did not retain anything at all. I have Kaplan Lecture notes for pharm, but I don't have to use them if there's something else, so...

Best one(s)?

Kaplan LN Pharm
Lippincott's Pharm
HY Pharm
Praying that there is no pharm on Step 1

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel the exact same way with my pharm. I just did the minimum to pass, and could almost neglect pharm on the tests and maxmize my score in other areas to pass. Thus, my pharm is my weakest subject.

Someone suggested Pharm for the Boards & Wards, which I bought and find it a nice read. I'm going to annotate FA with it.

We'll see how it goes.

Try Pharm Recall. I am a big fan of the recall series. Great for people with Attention issues. Check the publication date b/c it may be a little outdated now.

Members don't see this ad :)
If all you're concerned about is step I, then you're in luck. All you need to know about pharm for Step I is in FA. Memorize that (and I mean MEMORIZE IT), and do all of the Qbank pharm questions, and you'll easily be able to answer 95% of the pharm questions on the real deal.

Just my opinion.

HamOn

get the kaplan webprep lectures from trevor (easily found on this very website and he is the Trevor of Katzung and Trevor))....they were very helpful for me...a whole lot of why and how and not just what. I found it to be very good for physio too (ie renal)...With that mastered FA was sufficient to answer everything I saw on my tests (COMLEX and USMLE). I didn't use QBank, I liked USMLE 123 from student consult much more.

HamOnWholeWheat said:
If all you're concerned about is step I, then you're in luck. All you need to know about pharm for Step I is in FA. Memorize that (and I mean MEMORIZE IT), and do all of the Qbank pharm questions, and you'll easily be able to answer 95% of the pharm questions on the real deal.

Just my opinion.

HamOn

Agreed.

The only pharm question I had that was not answerable with First Aid and a little basic reasoning was not even in Big Katzung.

Hey everybody,
Thanks for all the info-- you really put my mind at ease. I was going to buy Lippincott's pharm and then use my old pharm cards to try and piece things together, but it sounds like I can use FA and Qbank, which is what I was planning to use for all other areas anyway.

And boy oh boy do I ever know that pharm will just get harder on the wards... but one thing at a time for pharm-haters like me.... :)

I also DETEST pharm - not the mechanisms - but the memorization. I just took the test 2 days ago and FA was more than adequate preparation (mind you, not in real life) ... make sure you know your toxicities!