please help...freaking out. quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverboat gambler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing my AMCAS right now and I realized that I registered for a community college many years ago and I enrolled in 2 classes. Then I dropped the 2 classes before the withdraw deadline and never went back. I have no grades at all from this college, not even a W, and my transcript should be completely blank. So I have never technically attended this college and don't need a transcript right?

I'm getting paranoid. Will they know that I was registered at this college and screw me over?

What should I do....is this is a big deal? they are so uptight about everything....my app is gonna be insanely delayed now if their waiting for a transcript to be verified.

Members don't see this ad.

Following directions is generally important

Reactions: 1 user
Following directions is generally important
Thanks for the enlightening and witty answer. But my question still stands: Do I, or do I not, need a transcript from this college?
I don't even know how I would enter in the start and end date I attended this institution on AMCAS...which is a required field that I just can't answer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the enlightening and witty answer. But my question still stands: Do I, or do I not, need a transcript from this college?
I don't even know how I would enter in the start and end date I attended this institution on AMCAS...which is a required field that I just can't answer
There is a manual for this:

One (1) official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted coursework, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:

• College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if they did not count toward a degree at any college.
  • Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if transfer credit was subsequently accepted by another school.
  • Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.).
  • Courses that did not count toward a degree, regardless of whether credit was earned or transferred.
  • Extension programs through which you attempted courses, if a separate transcript is provided by the Extension Division.
  • Correspondence and home study programs.
  • Military education.
  • American schools overseas.
  • U.S., U.S. Territorial, and Canadian medical schools.

So yeah. You do need a transcript.

No need to add those classes on AMCAS if you didn't receive a W. There is no available mechanism to find out if you enrolled at that college.

No need to add those classes on AMCAS if you didn't receive a W. There is no available mechanism to find out if you enrolled at that college.
Thank you! Here is the issue. When I was trying to enroll (as a transfer student) at a private university, they somehow found out that I had attended this certain additional college and that I had not sent my transcript to them....I responded by telling them its a blank piece of paper, and even got a certificate from the college that I had not attended and sent it to them. This school still rejected me based on the notion that I had missing application materials....

Everything is so dumb and technical with all these applications

Thank you! Here is the issue. When I was trying to enroll (as a transfer student) at a private university, they somehow found out that I had attended this certain additional college and that I had not sent my transcript to them....I responded by telling them its a blank piece of paper, and even got a certificate from the college that I had not attended and sent it to them. This school still rejected me based on the notion that I had missing application materials....

Well if you followed the directions lined up in the manual you wouldnt have had that issue

I suggest you call AMCAS and ask them. I think it is worth looking into before you submit anything. It could potentially hurt your gpa or maybe not. Good Luck!

Would you rather have a blank transcript or have it show up that you attended a school and didn't submit a transcript.

Tip: only one of those can tank an application

Reactions: 3 users
I am doing my AMCAS right now and I realized that I registered for a community college many years ago and I enrolled in 2 classes. Then I dropped the 2 classes before the withdraw deadline and never went back. I have no grades at all from this college, not even a W, and my transcript should be completely blank. So I have never technically attended this college and don't need a transcript right?

I'm getting paranoid. Will they know that I was registered at this college and screw me over?

What should I do....is this is a big deal? they are so uptight about everything....my app is gonna be insanely delayed now if their waiting for a transcript to be verified.
Ok so I found this on the AMCAS website. I think you will classify those 2 courses as dropped. It should still be listed on the application as W, and it doesn't have any weight in the AMCAS gpa calculations. I hope this helps!
Link: https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/GPA_Calculations.htm

Ok so I found this on the AMCAS website. I think you will classify those 2 courses as dropped. It should still be listed on the application as W, and it doesn't have any weight in the AMCAS gpa calculations. I hope this helps!
Link: https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/GPA_Calculations.htm
Thanks, but that would be incorrect as well, because the transcript is blank. I did not receive a W. I simply have no record of any enrolled classes in this college...but I was once registered for it

Thanks, but that would be incorrect as well, because the transcript is blank. I did not receive a W. I simply have no record of any enrolled classes in this college...but I was once registered for it
You still need to send a transcript.

what do I enter for start and end date of attendance?
And do I not fill out anything for the classes? I am really really confused about how to do this part even if I did send them a transcript

Members don't see this ad :)
And do I not fill out anything for the classes? I am really really confused about how to do this part even if I did send them a transcript
Contact AMCAS for clarity.

Are you sure?? I can see why a college transcript would be required from a school where you took a class and you didn't complete it or ultimately earned a W as you did not earn credit there but were registered for the classes. But I am pretty sure it has always been understood that one need not report classes where one dropped the class before the add/drop deadline.

Are you sure?? I can see why a college transcript would be required from a school where you took a class and you didn't complete it or ultimately earned a W as you did not earn credit there but were registered for the classes. But I am pretty sure it has always been understood that one need not report classes where one dropped the class before the add/drop deadline.
AMCAS requires it.

If you contact AMCAS please let us know what they say!

AMCAS requires it.

Bottomline is that I just don't want my app to be delayed because of this pointless blank transcript. It'll reach AAMC on like June 25 if I order tomorrow. So my app will probably enter the verification process at the end of this month.......

Sending a blank transcript with no coursework or information is pointless enough, but my app will suffer as a result...

Bottomline is that I just don't want my app to be delayed because of this pointless blank transcript. It'll reach AAMC on like June 25 if I order tomorrow. So my app will probably enter the verification process at the end of this month.......

Sending a blank transcript with no coursework or information is pointless enough, but my app will suffer as a result...
Contact them tomorrow.

AMCAS requires it.

PROOF: https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Special_Course_Types.htm
AMCAS does not require you to enter courses that you have dropped! Contact AMCAS for confirmation.

PROOF: https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Special_Course_Types.htm
AMCAS does not require you to enter courses that you have dropped! Contact AMCAS for confirmation.

"If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term with Withdrawal as the Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must request that the registrar's office forward an official letter with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies. The Transcript Request Form can be found in the Transcript Requests section of the application."

"If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term with Withdrawal as the Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must request that the registrar's office forward an official letter with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies. The Transcript Request Form can be found in the Transcript Requests section of the application."

I dropped my class before the add/drop deadline and never went back to that school. I don't even remember what class it was

Contact the school. They should be able to provide a record. I was delayed due to a summer camp at a college that gave a credit. Just be proactive, call instead of email for a quick resolution.

I think the point is that there is a difference between dropped classes and withdrawals

there was at my school! I signed up for a course and dropped it before the deadline (which comes fast) there was ZERO record on any transcript

as this poster has said, there are no Ws, there is nothing on this transcript

someone provided you a link that no one cares if you dropped courses before the W deadline

I agree with @Crayola227 on that the OP dropped the classes; what you are quoting here is regarding the classes that are withdrawn. AMCAS doesn't concern with the courses that are dropped. Therefore, no reason the OP should submit a transcript. To add that school on AMCAS, OP is required to enter the courses as W, but that is not the case here. In any case, OP should contact AMCAS for clarification.

I agree with @Crayola227 on that the OP dropped the classes; what you are quoting here is regarding the classes that are withdrawn. AMCAS doesn't concern with the courses that are dropped. Therefore, no reason the OP should submit a transcript. To add that school on AMCAS, OP is required to enter the courses as W, but that is not the case here. In any case, OP should contact AMCAS for clarification.
OP was registered
OP withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term
OP now must list the course as Withdrawn whether it was add/drop or a true withdrawal

This isn't an add/drop vs withdrawal issue. This is an issue of OP being registered at a school and now needing that transcript or the form that no transcript is available because of that

OP was registered
OP withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term
OP now must list the course as Withdrawn whether it was add/drop or a true withdrawal

This isn't an add/drop vs withdrawal issue. This is an issue of OP being registered at a school and now needing that transcript or the form that no transcript is available because of that
OP says, "Then I dropped the 2 classes before the withdraw deadline and never went back. I have no grades at all from this college, not even a W, and my transcript should be completely blank."
I am just going by the facts supplied by the OP. Whether or not OP was registered at the college, if the courses were dropped before the official deadline, it will not show on the transcript. AMCAS explicitly states that the dropped courses must NOT be entered in the coursework section.

If any financial aid was used or a federal aid form filled out and sent to the college, the record exists and may be accessible via NSCH which AMCAS is now a partner with
Thank you for the info. So the schools can indirectly track your enrollment through NSCH. Good to know.

I just spoke with AAMC. I explained the situation, and she said that I do not need to list it as an attended school or send a transcript

Reactions: 3 users
OP this situation came up before and you were the loser. Why would you even question getting a letter/transcript for a med school application? If the private school you were trying to transfer to found out this information there is a very good chance AMCAS will too. Why play with fire when it won't impact your GPA etc.?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

OP this situation came up before and you were the loser. Why would you even question getting a letter/transcript for a med school application? If the private school you were trying to transfer to found out this information there is a very good chance AMCAS will too. Why play with fire when it won't impact your GPA etc.?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Because the verification process is going to be delayed by 2 weeks waiting for a blank piece of paper to reach Washington DC. BTW I called the college right now and they said they would not be able to send a transcript at all.....because I have no record

Just called AMCAS again. They said registering for a college means actually taking a course, but I never went took a course. The guy this time said I have nothing to worry about

Just an fyi -- amcas shmamcas, they have no way of knowing whether you enrolled somewhere or not. There's no centralized database that shows where people went to college. You should use your common sense.

Just an fyi -- amcas shmamcas, they have no way of knowing whether you enrolled somewhere or not. There's no centralized database that shows where people went to college. You should use your common sense.
I heard there is now...its called like National Student Clearinghouse or something