Please help guys! Can I get into medical school?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Ayushi, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Ayushi

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey guys...I need some help! I took my MCAT this summer and am currently applying to DO and MD programs. My MCAT score was abysmal, I got a 28S, and I am retaking it in three weeks. My GPA is a 3.6 but my science GPA is more like a 3.4, so it's not too great either. What sort of chances do I have? Should I apply to D.O right away or wait for a better MCAt score? Also, what should I do about the MD schools, I'm tempted to apply now because I'm worried about being later, but I'm also realistic and realize that my MCAT is not ideal. The thing is I'm an illinois resident so instate admission is going to be just as hard as out of state in most cases. Otherwise my extra curriculars are great, I have lots of clubs, volunteering and clinical research, and I have two pending publications, and I co-authored a paper with some local physicians. What are my chances, I'm just looking for some advice! Thanks so much guys!
     
    #1 Ayushi, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Luxian

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2006
    Messages:
    405
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Ayushi, why the rush? It sounds like you have a below average science GPA and a below average MCAT and your publications are pending. If you applied next year, you could pull up your GPA have a better MCAT and have those two pubs in the bag. You WILL NOT be a better doctor just cause you got there faster. I would seriously consider staying for that fourth year of college, especially if you want to have a chance at an MD rather than a DO. In your senior year you can take advanced courses that will help you define what draws your interest. You can pull up your GPA. And you can develop longer relationships with the profs who will write your recommendations.
     
  4. Ayushi

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Unfortunately, staying is not an option for me, but thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it! I am not trying to rush, it's just that I have completed all of my courses for my double major, and I do not wish to pursue another major, since I am also running out of scholarships :( Which sucks, a lot.
     
  5. abcabc1

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Messages:
    407
    Likes Received:
    0
    What are you asking us?

    If you already applied to DO schools this year, you'll probably get in. You're very unlikely to get into any Allopathic schools (unless your MCAT scores rise).

    I recommend waiting as well, but with a slightly different angle. Graduate early and then take some undergrad Science courses at a local year University. If it's a public school and you live at home, it won't cost much. You can also use the time to prep for the MCAT and raise your scores. If you're graduating College in 2009, this plan would be consistent with applying for Medical School in 2010 to start in 2011. Of course, that's two years later than starting DO school next year.

    Your EC's are solid, so you need to focus solely on raising your grades and MCATs.

    It's really your call; if you want to start sooner, than start DO school in 2009. If you want to be competitive for Allopathic schools, you'll have to wait until next year or (if you follow my suggestion) the year after that.

    The path to becoming a Doc is so long, there are advantages to starting next year. You have to determine what's more important: starting sooner or having a shot at Allopathic schools.
     
  6. Dulcina

    Dulcina =)

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,436
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Medical Student
    i agree with ABC.

    if MD is important to you, take a year off, work, do postbacc classes to raise your GPA (not necessary, but an option), retake the MCAT, then apply next cycle

    if timing is important to you, apply DO, and a few MD schools this cycle.

    My advice is to wait, since a year is nothing, and since money seems like an issue, you could pick up a job for a yr. But that's just what I woudl do (and did do!).

    Whatever you choose, good luck =) :luck:
     

Share This Page