Please help i need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Citrusxoxo

Hey guys I need a little help here,

I am finishing my AA this spring and I plan to transfer to a University to continue my degree in science. I am apply for the fall semster now so that If i dont get in then I can apply somewhere else. Here is my story. This summer my mom passed away of cancer. I was enrolled in a American Lit class at a community college. My mom was in the hospital for two weeks prior to her passing away. As most of you know american lit requires alot of reading. When your taking a class that is normally 15 weeks and then you take it in the summer its an 8 week class. So it was a ton of reading. Im 21 years old and loosing my mom was so hard for me. I really wasnt thinking about reading and I withdrew from the class. When you withdray you either WP (withdraw passing) or WF (withdraw failing) I withdrew failing and it goes as an F on your GPA. I know on the admissions site for the college it said on all course work i must have alteast a 2.0. Well i don't. I have good grades on everything else.

The admission guy said that I could put a letter with my application stating the reason why i WF.

I am really stuck on what to say. I dont really have anyone else to ask for advice. So i thought I might ask some of you what you might say if you were in my situation.

Keep in mind that this is not for pharmacy school its just for regular admissions to a 4 year college.

I am also re-taking the class this spring :)

If you would like to post your ideas on here you can or you can email me personally at [email protected]. I really appriciate you guys reading this and I would really value your opinions. If this isnt the right place to post this im really sorry but i am taking my pre reqs for pharmacy and I post here alot about pharamcy.

Thank you so much,
Emily

Members don't see this ad.

Did you check to see if your school has some kind of bereavement policy? They may be able to change your F (or WF) to a plain withdraw.

At UC Davis we had such policies in place for medical emergencies, deaths, etc.

WITHDRAWAL AND LEAVE OF ABSENCE
Withdrawals may be granted by the university for emergency reasons or for good cause. In order to withdraw, you must first obtain approval from the dean of your college or school. Unauthorized withdrawals will jeopardize registration privileges and result in failing grades. Petitions for Withdrawal are available at the Office of the Registrar. Information on fee refunds can be found in the Fee Refund section of this catalog. The following signatures are required on withdrawal petitions: lab or course instructor; dean of your college or graduate faculty adviser; Student Aid Accounting Office.
If you are receiving financial aid, you must report your change of status immediately, in person or by mail, to the Financial Aid and Student Aid Accounting Offices. If you are receiving veterans benefits, you must also report your withdrawal to the Veterans Affairs Office.

Retroactive Withdrawals
Petitions for retroactive withdrawals may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. Reasons for seeking such are medical problems, severe emotional difficulties, or death or severe illness in the immediate family. Petitions should include a detailed account of the problem, appropriate documentation and an adequate explanation of why withdrawal was not taken during the quarter in which the problem occurred.

Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)
The Planned Educational Leave Program allows students to suspend academic work, leave the campus and later resume studies with a minimum of procedural difficulties.

ICA said:
Did you check to see if your school has some kind of bereavement policy? They may be able to change your F (or WF) to a plain withdraw.

At UC Davis we had such policies in place for medical emergencies, deaths, etc.
No i sure didnt but thank you! im going to check into that right now. I know they have a forgiveness policy where I can retake the class and the new grade will take the place of the F on my GPA...I will check into that thanks :)

Emily