calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I Need some serious advice. I want to go to pharmacy school but my overall GPA is a 2.56. I just quit my job and i want to dedicate the next 2-3 years trying to raise my GPA and obtain entrance to a pharmacy program. I graduated from UC Davis and majored in biochemistry in 2007. After graduation i worked for a major pharmaceutical company and was inspired to go to pharmacy school. The reason my gpa is so low is that i did really bad my freshman and sophomore year. I did well in upper level biology courses. I don't know if i should do a masters program in biology or i should just repeat courses. I was thinking of repeating the general math and science courses and doing a 1 year masters program. I would need over 60 units to raise my gpa over a 3.0. What do you guys think? i would ask a counselor but they always intimidate me...

thanks
UCD grad here as well. Had a 2.8 after my first year. Graduated as a 5th year: Got 4 interview requests and I'll be attending pharm school in the Fall of '09. Just depends on how much you want it.

Sounds like your first 2 years are slappin' your nut sac. Retake the classes that are holding you down. Do not ever give up. Persistance is the key. Good luck.

Storm90

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2008
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
Not to mention some programs offer grade forgiveness and/or will consider your higher grade if you retake a course.

About the Ads
C

CaliforniaKid

Thanks, thats great to know. I've heard of one program in nevada that does that. anyone know of any others? thanks

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you have a very high PCAT, Michigan typically takes in people who have other redeeming factors. One of my housemates had one of the lowest entering GPAs with a sub 3.0 - if you can write well and have inspiration to apply, you might consider Michigan. They also are aware of how competitive the UCs are (we have quite the influx from Berkeley/UCLA/the like).

fenixtnlfan

P2 Wildcat
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Status
Pharmacy Student
Definitely repeat the courses and try to raise your GPA. Pharm schools place more emphasis on pre-req courses so doing a masters won't really be helpful. Do really well on the PCAT and the other parts of your app also. I haven't heard of any other programs that do grade forgiveness besides USN, but you could try the search function on the forum.

About the Ads