Please help: KCUMB and CCOM issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just need your guys' advice in the following situation:

I got in to KCUMB and got waitlisted at CCOM this past year. I really wanted to go to CCOM due to personal reasons of staying close to family and attending an in state school. However, KCUMB impressed me as well. Another reason that I liked CCOm was that it allows students to rotate at great hospitals in chicago while with KCUMB, I would have to go somewhere else. I want to really practice medicine in Illinois, so will I have trouble coming to illinois as a KCUMB graduate? Should I wait another year and see if I can get in CCOM for next year? To put this question another way, is there something that CCOM has that KCUMB doesn't has that is worth waiting another year for? My top goal is to come back to ILlinois, so willl there be any problem for me to come back if I graduate from a school other than CCOM? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Putting off med school for a year to see if you might get in one place, when you already have one acceptance on the table, is borderline Darwin Award material.

I could see it maybe if we were talking about a Caribbean school or something, and waiting a year to try another cycle of applying to US schools, but not when you're talking about CCOM vs. KCUMB.

Its not that bad. Just do a few rotations later on at illinois hospitals. It'd be not a wise idea to wait another year. It'd probably be a good experience to get away from home a bit. Going to school in KC doesn't mean you can't be a doctor in illinois.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be okay because MO borders IL. If you were looking at attending a non-IL bordering school you might have more problems.

I had the same choice between KCUMB and CCOM. It was a tough one. KCUMB looked like a great school, actually it impressed me more than CCOM. Since there is no guarantee that you are in to CCOM next year, I would strongly advise you to take what you have. It really depends on you, not on the school where you end up. You can always arrange your rotations or auditions in IL while at KCUMB. I think KCUMB should be able to set up whatever you want to.

So I will have to set up rotations in Illinois during my fourth year at KCUMB? The first two years are at KCUMB classroom style while the third one is rotations at KCUMB designated sites. Please correct me if i am wrong. thx for all the replies so far.

So I will have to set up rotations in Illinois during my fourth year at KCUMB? The first two years are at KCUMB classroom style while the third one is rotations at KCUMB designated sites. Please correct me if i am wrong. thx for all the replies so far.

If KCUMB doesn't have any clinicals in Illinois, you will likely have the option of setting up your own "elective" rotations in your fourth year. These are where you go "audition" for programs where you will be applying for residency. For some specialties this is a must, for others it's not a good idea.

KCUMB is a great school and you won't be too far away from home, so go for it!

If KCUMB doesn't have any clinicals in Illinois, you will likely have the option of setting up your own "elective" rotations in your fourth year. These are where you go "audition" for programs where you will be applying for residency. For some specialties this is a must, for others it's not a good idea.

KCUMB is a great school and you won't be too far away from home, so go for it!

Hey, I am curious which specialties do not prefer auditions?

I'm wondering too... In our ER they won't even look at your application if you don't rotate here (we usually have a LOT of students each month).

Yes, this is correct.

Also:
During your 3rd yr, you have one elective. You can do this anywhere. Some places do not allow 3rd yr students to do elective rotations. If you know there is somewhere you'd like to go, get an early start on this one.

During your 4th yr, you have to do 3 required rotations at a KCUMB core site.

It isn't so much which speciality as which hospital. You'll figure that out at a later time. Certain specialities are known to like audition rotations a bit more...usually the highly competitive fields. (usually) Radiology is kind of weird. You don't really do as much to impress during a radiology rotation, so I've been led to assume that the interview is a bit more important. Once again, all hearsay and it will change. Just do your best and worry about rotations when that comes.