Please help me answer this

Started by drpduck
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drpduck

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so this is off Topscore #1, and I cannot figure it out:

Given the standard enthalpy of formations of NO is 90.25 kj/mole calculate the free energy change for the following reaction at 25 degrees C

N2 + O2 -> 2NO

Standard Entropies
------------------
N2 192kj/mol
NO 211kj/mol
O2 205kj/mol


The answer is: 180.5-(298)(25)(1x10/\-3)

Ok now I know you use G=H+T(delta)S, but I still can't figure it out. I get that the Enthalpy is 90.25 x 2=180.5 and the T is 25+273=298, but the rest I have no clue.
 
Hey there-
Ok, regarding the problem..
You are solving for H, so your equation is: H=G-TdeltaS
G= 2*90.25 = 180.5
T=25+273= 298
S= (S of Products - S of Reactants) = (2*211) - (192 +205) = 25
Then it is all multiplied by (1*10^-3) since the units need to be in kJ (as opposed to J)

Hope that helps!🙂
I am taking my test in two days, so I feel like I should be on top of this!🙂
 
I'm sure someone will probably answer you before me. But, what the heck...

So, you are correct that you need to use the delta G=deltaH -T (delta S) equation. The remaining numbers are probably delta S and a conversion factor.

For example, if you calculate delta S, you would get 2(211) -(192+205)=25. So there's the reason behind one number. However the (1X 10^-3) is a bit confusing as the majority of units are in kJ. Just to clarify, the negative sign was not a typo? If it was a typo, then the answer would make sense as Topscore wanted you to convert from kJ-->J.

Or...maybe they wanted you to calculate the number in microJoules? Doubtful.

Yeah...this feedback probably was not as beneficial as you may have hoped. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Its asking for the free energy change right? Why would you be solving for delta H and not for G? I've been studying too long and my brain is melting I think.
 
Okay, this is what I came up with.
The equation you need to use is G=H-T(delta)S. The question gives you enthalpy for one mole of NO. In the reaction, two moles are produced so multiply the enthalpy they give you by 2. You will get H=180.5. In the little table, they give you the entropies. You need to solve for delta S by remembering: (delta)S= sum of products - sum of reactants). When you calculate this you will get 25. The temperature is 298K. Now just plug in your numbers into the equation.

(delta)G = 180.5 - (298)(25).

The other part is just a conversion factor.

Let me know if this helps.

Brandon
 
Thanks Cash, that does help a lot. I honestly think I need to get a day of rest in. I'm taking my DAT on Aug. 13 (I know, Friday the 13th 🙁 ) and have been studying since the end of june for at least 6 hours, 5-6 days a week. I think my brain is dying. Anyway, thanks again.
 
Good Luck on the DAT. Let us know how it goes. We all get those brain farts once in a while. I am studying for the DAT now and its tough trying to study and get graduate school work done at the same time. Anywhos, good luck to ya.

Brandon