Please help me build a strong school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillingthetea

Reaction score
School list (so far):
  • Jefferson
  • Temple
  • Pitt
  • Einstein
  • Vermont
  • George Washington
  • VCU
  • Tufts
  • Wake Forest
  • Dartmouth
  • Miami Miller
  • Ohio State
  • Cincinnati
  • Rochester

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any service orientation activities: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation? What did you do as a "food service worker"?

• 50 hours as a tutor with the local literacy council (this depends on if/when they have a student who is matched with me so not sure how to anticipate hours; should I keep this activity?)
I don't know if you are ANTICIPATING 50 hours from your question. Provide a description of your responsibilities. I concede disregarding activities with fewer than 50 hours (except shadowing), so you can list it if you have the hours by submission. I cannot tell you if it would make an impact.

• 100 hours as a member of cultural enrichment program hosting global festivals etc. (does this count as leadership? If not, I have trained my peers in my clinical and food service jobs, so can I make one of those my leadership experience?)
Describe what you did.

Your list is top heavy with a MCAT of 512. Einstein is a far reach. I suggest adding these schools with your stats:
Geisinger
Drexel
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any service orientation activities: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation? What did you do as a "food service worker"?

I don't know if you are ANTICIPATING 50 hours from your question. Provide a description of your responsibilities. I concede disregarding activities with fewer than 50 hours (except shadowing), so you can list it if you have the hours by submission. I cannot tell you if it would make an impact.

Describe what you did.
By food service worker I meant working as a barista. I am making this one of my MME as I worked through college to pay for my tuition and learned a lot.

I have 50 hours so far as a volunteer tutor. I helped students from disadvantaged backgrounds with math and English. I don't know how to anticipate more hours as I am not matched with a student currently. It's 1:1 tutoring.

With the cultural enrichment program, I helped hosting and planning festivals for international students at my school. I am not sure if I should put any of the other experiences such as the food service one where I trained my coworkers as leadership.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is top heavy with a MCAT of 512. Einstein is a far reach. I suggest adding these schools with your stats:
Geisinger
Drexel
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Thank you! For schools like Georgetown and Creighton, do you think I have enough service hours? Also, I read somewhere on MSAR that Georgetown screens for 125 subsection and my CARS is 124. I am not sure if this is a hard cut-off.

By food service worker I meant working as a barista. I am making this one of my MME as I worked through college to pay for my tuition and learned a lot.

I have 50 hours so far as a volunteer tutor. I helped students from disadvantaged backgrounds with math and English. I don't know how to anticipate more hours as I am not matched with a student currently. It's 1:1 tutoring.

With the cultural enrichment program, I helped hosting and planning festivals for international students at my school. I am not sure if I should put any of the other experiences such as the food service one where I trained my coworkers as leadership.
Considering the hours you claim, you can include your management/training responsibilities as part of your employment description.

This still leaves the issue of zero apparent hours of service orientation activities that aren't otherwise clinical or health-related, which makes your application vulnerable to getting screened out, especially at the Jesuit medical schools. Cura personalis.

Considering the hours you claim, you can include your management/training responsibilities as part of your employment description.

This still leaves the issue of zero apparent hours of service orientation activities that aren't otherwise clinical or health-related, which makes your application vulnerable to getting screened out, especially at the Jesuit medical schools. Cura personalis.
Should I list the food service activity as a paid employment or leadership?

Is the volunteer tutor not considered service?

Should I list the food service activity as a paid employment or leadership?
Based on your description, paid employment. Your description will show your leadership through your management responsibilities.

Is the volunteer tutor not considered service?
Tutoring is an extension of an academic responsibility to teach what you know. Thus, it's an academic competency.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! For schools like Georgetown and Creighton, do you think I have enough service hours? Also, I read somewhere on MSAR that Georgetown screens for 125 subsection and my CARS is 124. I am not sure if this is a hard cut-off.
You have over 2,000 hours of clinical exposure which more than compensates for your lack of non clinical volunteering.