Please help me decide!!! VCU vs. UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstwealthhealth

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I need your help tonight. Here's some context: I am picking between the PT programs at University of Washington in Seattle, and Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. I currently live in Richmond so the move would be much easier. I have a job as a tech in a clinic near Richmond and my boss has offered me a job after I graduate PT school. I would not have hardly any commute, but I would have to pay to feed myself and for rent. My boss is offering me a room in his place for a very cheap monthly rate, too. And overall, VCU's tuition rates are much cheaper. VCU is slightly higher ranked if that means anything and I'd be a part of the first graduating class in the brand new facilities. I live here now--VCU is a comfortable choice.

On the flip side, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Western Washington state, and I left for VA for college and worked here afterwards. I will be 26 at the start of PT school and I have lived away from my parents and family members for 8 years--unbelievable that it's been that long. I do miss Washington quite a bit. Family is very important to me. UW's tuition rates are much higher than VCU's and to save money, I would be living at home with my parents and making a one-hour commute one-way (~2 hours/day commuting by car or light rail). On the flip side, my ultimate goal is to end up somewhere back in the PNW. I keep hearing that I should probably go where I want to end up. UW is obviously regionally renowned in the PNW and in the west. And of course I would be moving from VA to WA if I decide on UW--a very big move.

After a total cost comparison, the overall cost differential is <$10k, with VCU being slightly cheaper. So essentially I have the freedom to choose which I prefer more. I am having a difficult time seeing all of this objectively and I really don't know how difficult it might be for me to get a job along the West Coast if I decide to pick VCU. I have asked the clinical director about the odds of getting clinicals out west and they said it's possible but generally only private practice, outpatient ortho.

Please help me. I'm desperate for unbiased help. Everyone I talk to has their own agenda. I do recognize that I am picking between two wonderful choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! Personally, I applied to VCU also and have heard that the program is wonderful. I think that being the first class to experience the new building would be such a cool experience, and it is also nice that it's cheaper than a lot of programs. It's also really handy that you will have a job lined up in Richmond once you graduate. In terms of moving to the west coast, I wouldn't worry about your post graduation job prospects. Most every PT grad I know is inundated with job offers. Having said that, it is often easiest and most convenient to find a job at a place you have completed a clinical internship, which is often close to the school you attend.

If family is very important to you, then maybe moving home would be a great idea. Having said that, there's no reason why you couldn't go to VCU and then move to Washington to find a job as a PT. It may be harder to make that transition, but definitely doable.

While both schools have a great reputation, I have heard many people say to choose the cheaper option. You should pick what's most important to you at this stage of your life - being near family, or saving money! It's hard for anyone else to make this decision for you, but we can help you see the benefits of both choices. Either way, I'm sure you will have a wonderful PT school experience. Good luck in making your decision!

Hi there! Personally, I applied to VCU also and have heard that the program is wonderful. I think that being the first class to experience the new building would be such a cool experience, and it is also nice that it's cheaper than a lot of programs. It's also really handy that you will have a job lined up in Richmond once you graduate. In terms of moving to the west coast, I wouldn't worry about your post graduation job prospects. Most every PT grad I know is inundated with job offers. Having said that, it is often easiest and most convenient to find a job at a place you have completed a clinical internship, which is often close to the school you attend.

If family is very important to you, then maybe moving home would be a great idea. Having said that, there's no reason why you couldn't go to VCU and then move to Washington to find a job as a PT. It may be harder to make that transition, but definitely doable.

While both schools have a great reputation, I have heard many people say to choose the cheaper option. You should pick what's most important to you at this stage of your life - being near family, or saving money! It's hard for anyone else to make this decision for you, but we can help you see the benefits of both choices. Either way, I'm sure you will have a wonderful PT school experience. Good luck in making your decision!

Hey there, thanks for your reply. My only concern here is with what you said about job offers after graduation. Is it really feasible that there are THAT many jobs out there? If job prospects for PT are that good... then that certainly diminishes my concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

If it were me I would choose VCU because it is cheaper and less of a commute. For me the commute is the huge deal. PT school is stressful enough I could not imagine having to make sure to be up a minimum of one hour earlier just to make it class on time. If you can take the light rail every day that would be a little better because you can study and not pay for gas but if you would have to drive at all that would not be ideal. As you know the traffic in Seattle can be pretty bad and that is at least 2 hours a day you won't be able to study. Also, if you decide to move closer to campus it will cost you another 10k a year in rent.

As for getting a job in the Seattle area after graduating would not be hard. There are a billion places to work around there so I would not worry about that in the slightest. Hope this helps.

Currently a 2nd year at UW and can say the struggle is real for my classmates who commute via light rail. To echo what was said above about the commute: as you may know last week Seattle had a snowstorm and UW wasn’t being straightforward regarding school closure. What ends up happening? One classmate from Tacoma hops on the bus 5 minutes too late and doesn’t get the alert in time that school has been cancelled. Got up for nothing.

Some of our classes are early in the morning, too. 8 am. Which means you likely have to get up around 5:30am or so.

If commuting doesn’t seem like a big deal then this shouldn’t be an issue. I like convenience though and can’t imagine what it would be like living so far from campus.

Also, I’m an out of state resident and WISH I had the luxury of paying in state tuition. If you know you’ll end up in the PNW anyway, go the cheaper route. Finding jobs won’t be difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently a 2nd year at UW and can say the struggle is real for my classmates who commute via light rail. To echo what was said above about the commute: as you may know last week Seattle had a snowstorm and UW wasn’t being straightforward regarding school closure. What ends up happening? One classmate from Tacoma hops on the bus 5 minutes too late and doesn’t get the alert in time that school has been cancelled. Got up for nothing.

Some of our classes are early in the morning, too. 8 am. Which means you likely have to get up around 5:30am or so.

If commuting doesn’t seem like a big deal then this shouldn’t be an issue. I like convenience though and can’t imagine what it would be like living so far from campus.

Also, I’m an out of state resident and WISH I had the luxury of paying in state tuition. If you know you’ll end up in the PNW anyway, go the cheaper route. Finding jobs won’t be difficult.

Ugh THANK YOU!!! You were the best response! I hope PT school @ UW is going well. Sadly as much as I would love to go to UW the commute + cost isn't feasible for me. Good luck finishing up school

Ugh THANK YOU!!! You were the best response! I hope PT school @ UW is going well. Sadly as much as I would love to go to UW the commute + cost isn't feasible for me. Good luck finishing up school

Glad I can help!! Thanks, a lot. I'm sure VCU will be an excellent experience - in the end, you'll have a DPT!

Reactions: 1 user