Aug 23, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi Dears

I have some questions. I appreciate you for helping me. I want to know how much is my chance to being accepted for a MD/PhD position? If there's a chance, what is the way?

I have a B.Sc. in electrical engineering (control) with a GPA of 3.10 and I'm a M.Sc. student in control and systems now. I interested in neuroscience and medical science after passing a physiology and neuroscience course last semester. Therefore I decided to research in neuroscience field as my master thesis and continue my researches in a related lab.

In addition, I don't have US citizenship and I don't study or research in the US ever.

With such a situation:

- If I carry on my researches in a lab in the US for one or two years, how much is my chance to being accepted for a MD/PhD position in neuroscience with full fund?

- Do I need to try to apply for permanent residence first?

- Does getting a M.Sc. in a related field from a US university, increase my chance?

Please share your knowledge and experiences with me. Thank you all for your attention.

With best regards.

OP
NeuroFriend
Aug 23, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I'm waiting for your guidance... Please, Please, Please help me...:(

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
- If I carry on my researches in a lab in the US for one or two years, how much is my chance to being accepted for a MD/PhD position in neuroscience with full fund?
None. Your GPA is poor, your education is outside the USA, your English is not fluent, and you're not a permanent resident/citizen. These are too many strikes against you.

- Does getting a M.Sc. in a related field from a US university, increase my chance?
Unlikely. You may use this as a stepping stone to PhD with a strong GRE score.

OP
NeuroFriend
Aug 23, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thank you dear Neuronix, for your attention and time.

You're right, but I'm trying to prepare myself for 4 or 5 years later.

-Are you sure My chance will be very low yet, even if I do my research in a good level and my researches result in one or more papers in good journals(e. g. as not first author in Nature Neuroscience)? My supervisor has a good lab in neural and cognitive brain sciences, and has published two paper in Nature Neuroscience. I can work in his lab for some years. Does it can cover my strikes partially and cause me being accepted for interview?

-By the way, my poor GPA, doesn't mean my inability to educate. It's because I was not interested in higher education at that time and I doesn't spend enough time for studying, but now the situation is different and I'm very interested in Neuroscience and Medical Science. Also my poor result is for my specialized courses in electrical engineering, not for basic physics, chemistry and biology. If I study basic chemistry and biology and know enough like the other applicants, does it can cover my low GPA in interview session?

-Is my citizenship, the main and determining factor? or a significant research result, a good recommendation letter and an eager mind can marginalize it?

Thank you again for your help, my dear friend.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
-Are you sure My chance will be very low yet, even if I do my research in a good level and my researches result in one or more papers in good journals(e. g. as not first author in Nature Neuroscience)? My supervisor has a good lab in neural and cognitive brain sciences, and has published two paper in Nature Neuroscience. I can work in his lab for some years. Does it can cover my strikes partially and cause me being accepted for interview?
The problem is on the medical side, not the research side. More papers won't overcome your red flags for medical school admissions.

-By the way, my poor GPA, doesn't mean my inability to educate. It's because I was not interested in higher education at that time and I doesn't spend enough time for studying, but now the situation is different and I'm very interested in Neuroscience and Medical Science. Also my poor result is for my specialized courses in electrical engineering, not for basic physics, chemistry and biology. If I study basic chemistry and biology and know enough like the other applicants, does it can cover my low GPA in interview session?
Your low GPA is just one of several issues. If you were a US citizen/permanent resident educated in the USA and fluent in English, we could potentially address your GPA to get you into medical school alone. Even if you were a US citizen, with rare exceptions MD/PhD would likely not be feasible with that undergraduate GPA.

-Is my citizenship, the main and determining factor? or a significant research result, a good recommendation letter and an eager mind can marginalize it?
Your low GPA, lack of US education before grad school (with exceptions for Canada/western Europe), and lack of US citizenship are all factors. These cannot be mitigated by enthusiasm, letters, and more research.

If you do a strong PhD, obtain US permanent resident status, score very well on your MCAT, and improve your English skills, you could potentially get into medical school after a PhD. That's even a bit of stretch, and you'd pay full price for medical school. But that's your only viable path in my opinion. That does fit your 5 year timeframe.

sluox

15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
I read posts like this and I'm like lol we have tippity top US students ivy league all the way through failing to get grants and dropping out of a research career on a regular basis...