Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Please help me!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentaldude8, May 8, 2007.

1. dentaldude8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For all of you who read this I would greatly appreciate your advice on my situation. I am a 25 yr old white male dental school re-applicant. I applied early (May 18) to twelve schools, interviewed at only one where I am currently on the waitlist.

Stats………………….
    Cumulative GPA 3.50
    BCP 3.44
    Science GPA 3.36
    DAT:
    PAT 16
    Quantitative 18
    Reading Comp 19
    General Chemistry 20
    Organic Chemistry 19
    Biology 22
    AA 20
    TS 20

Additionally- I have lots of dental experience, research experience, community service, etc.

I don’t want to give up on my dream but I really don’t know what direction I should go! I’ve thought about retaking the DAT but I don’t think I can do better than those scores. I studied full time for two months and won’t have time to do that again now that I work full time. But, what I’m really considering is a Special Masters program or a post-bacc program. I’ve spent countless hours looking into these options and really don’t know what the best option is. Most are flippin expensive, is it worth it to go 30-50k in debt for a masters degree? Would a post-bacc program that is affiliated with a dental school be a better option? Do you have any programs that you would recommend, masters or post-bacc? Any information or advice is appreciated, thank you to everyone who replies!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Arashi83

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey man, just hang in there. I mean if you don't get in this year explore your options. BUt I think you have good stats. If you don't get in again, you might want to try retaking the DAT to try and boost your PAT, but that could be tricky, you have to really study to make sure you match your previous AA and TS. Also, call the dental schools you want to go to, and try to ask them where you stand and what you can do to improve your app.

4. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You have good stats, I dont know why you didnt get in. Man, you post makes me feel like I wouldnt get in anywhere. I feel hopeless.

5. dds72128

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey, definitely call them to ask! my stats are very similar to yours, but w/ a much lower GPA... and they told me to focus on pulling it up. most schools i called were very friendly and let you ask them all sorts of questions. do it before they throw away your applications because i believe they will soon when the new applications start coming in.

the non-science sections of your DAT are a bit low, but your GPA is good, so i'm not sure what the big problem is. please let us know what you find out! thanks!

dds72128

6. dentaldentist

dentaldentist Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You're stats look really solid. Your only weak point seems to be your PAT score. Do you have a lot of credits from community college? Community college classes, especially in your core sciences can hurt your application. The first thing you should do is contact some of the schools and ask if you can talk to someone about your application. They should be able to tell you what hurt your application and what you can approve for this next time around. Also, when reapplying, you should update your essay a bit and you may also want to get at least one new letter of recommendation. Some schools request an extra LOR for reapplicants. I think you should be fine reapplying with your current stats, but its best to get some info, if you can, directly from the schools that rejected you. Good luck.

7. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would call the school that you're still watilisted at. Two people in my class who got in off the waitlist did so by being polite and patient but pushy. You want to stay alive in their minds so they know you're available. Give them a call, introduce yourself, and ask about your waitlist status and if there are any other bits of information they would like about you (any activities since you last applied, any new letters of recommendation to help with their decision.) End on a direct note by saying that you are still extremely interested in the school and hope that they will consider your application a they make their final decisions.

If you are not accepted, it's good indeed to call the schools and ask how you can be stronger, but they'll probably tell you to raise your PAT. I've heard mixed things about post-bacc, but it couldn't hurt. Good luck!

8. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Call the school you are waitlisted at and refresh their memories about how much you want to go and ask how you could improve for next year if you don't get in.

Call the other schools to ask the same questions.

Be open to what they tell you even if it is hard to do.

Next cycle...apply to more private schools if you didn't...it may give you a slightly better shot.

Your stats look nice...so maybe try something other than stats. You don
    't list your dental experience...but maybe if you've only worked in dentistry...as opposed to volunteering your time...you could try that. Community service is a + in some ADCOMs eyes over paid positions.

9. washingtonDAT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't give up your stats look good! For sure call the schools and ask what you need to do.

10. wackiezackie82

wackiezackie82 My Idol
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Definitely try to increase your PAT score in case you do re-apply, but also check out the average scores of students who get accepted at the schools you apply to. I'm surprised that you didn't get in ANYWHERE with stats like that, but it also depends on which schools you applied to.

Hopefully, you won't have to worry about this though and you'll get off the wait list. Others are right. Call the school and make sure they remember you!

Good Luck.

11. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    that 16 kills you at some schools. If you can try to get the PAT raised if you retake the DAT.

Otherwise apply to more than 12 schools, it will cost only about 200 bucks more for 16-18 schools.

12. dentaldude8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it! As far as calling the schools I got rejected at and checking in with the one where I'm on with waitlist, I've actually already been doing that. I've talked to around 7 directors of admission, including the one at the school where I'm on the waitlist. Very few have told me to retake the DAT, more so then not, they say my scores are good. What I usually get is just the typical, it was an extremely competitive year and we give preference to our state residents (also heard this from private schools), those from disadvantaged backgrounds, etc. Honestly, THIS IS WHAT I NORMALLY GET! So, with the exception of one or two saying that a masters or post bacc would help, I have yet to get much objective advice from the directors. Not one of them recommended a particular masters or post bacc program, thus I'm asking all of you! There are so many different options concerning post bacc and masters programs and I really want to make a wise decision on which one I should go to. If anyone has any advice or further recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your replies………….

13. dentaldude8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    As far as applying to 20 or so schools next year I will definitely do that! It was probably foolish of me not to do so! I have book put out by the ADA that lists all the stats, so I'll do my research. Also, I'm going to apply to a few masters programs despite the price. I just don't want to spend this entire year and not significantly improve my credentials. If anyone has any further thoughts, recommendations for masters or post bacc programs, or advice I'd appreciate it!