Please Help ME!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kad410

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I will be sophomore undergrad @ a private university. Currently, I am working/training to be a dental assistant to hopefully improve my chances of acceptance to my state school. I am training with a dentist in my college town for the summer and will be taking the board exam sometime this year. Right now, I have a 3.1 GPA (I know, not very good) and hopefully can continue to raise it. Unfortunately, gen. chem, o. chem and phys still need to be taken.

My ADVISORS do NOT know what they're doing. I think because there are not many people in the pre-dental program at my college, they haven't had enough experience to help me. So I NEED YOUR HELP!!! I would be SO grateful if anyone could try to answer any of my questions because I'm kind of researching everything on my own.

1.) Does anyone know if U of I still offers a deferred admit program? (instead of applying the usual time, I would have to take my DAT my sophomore summer and then apply after opposed to my junior year). The reason I ask is because I heard rumors they were no longer allowing it.

2.) Do I still have a chance with my GPA?

3.) Will working as a dental assistant for a couple years improve my chances?

Thanks so much everyone...I know you probably have to repeatedly answer the same questions and I feel bad asking but I honestly do not know who to ask and would really appreciate your advice! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I will be sophomore undergrad @ a private university. Currently, I am working/training to be a dental assistant to hopefully improve my chances of acceptance to my state school. I am training with a dentist in my college town for the summer and will be taking the board exam sometime this year. Right now, I have a 3.1 GPA (I know, not very good) and hopefully can continue to raise it. Unfortunately, gen. chem, o. chem and phys still need to be taken.

My ADVISORS do NOT know what they're doing. I think because there are not many people in the pre-dental program at my college, they haven't had enough experience to help me. So I NEED YOUR HELP!!! I would be SO grateful if anyone could try to answer any of my questions because I'm kind of researching everything on my own.

1.) Does anyone know if U of I still offers a deferred admit program? (instead of applying the usual time, I would have to take my DAT my sophomore summer and then apply after opposed to my junior year). The reason I ask is because I heard rumors they were no longer allowing it.

2.) Do I still have a chance with my GPA?

3.) Will working as a dental assistant for a couple years improve my chances?

Thanks so much everyone...I know you probably have to repeatedly answer the same questions and I feel bad asking but I honestly do not know who to ask and would really appreciate your advice! Good luck to everyone!

1) I have no idea but check with the schools..... it is best to take the DAT once you have completed your basic biology and g chem and o chem classes, because they are the stuff on the test

2)Yes you still have a chance...... mine was only a 3.3 (I got into 4 schools)

3) It looks good but believe me it doesn't help as much as just getting a higher GPA and rocking the DAT. GPA and DAT are the most important, but with that said you need to do some shadowing and volunteering/other community service stuff. Basically well rounded.... but again the first thing they are going to look at is GPA and DAT scores.... if you GPA stays at 3.1 I would say that you probably need 21 or higher on your DAT. What is your state school btw?