Please Help! NBME and Step III correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychR1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the NMBME assessment test online and scored a 410. I've been busting my ass on UW and scoring between 60-80% for the last couple weeks, finshed all the questions and doing CCS cases on usmle 123 (hoping to get about 40 done before the test), I seriously would have imagined a higher score on NMBE.

Does anyone know what a 410 means? I know the SD is +/- 100 from 500. I'm pretty scared because I take it in 3 days. Any input is greatly appreciated! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, a score above 400 would put you in the safe zone.
Your UW scores are good actually.
I guess the best thing to do would be to identify your weak areas on your NBME and read up on them. You still have time.

Good luck and try to relax :)

Just wondering if anyone knew the correlation from the NBME practice materials to a rough three digit score. I just took the downloadable test and it gave me a percentage score. Just wondering what a passing percentage score is. Thanks.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're getting 60-80 on UW then I think you'd smoke the exam.

I hope so, because I'm getting mid 50s and I take the exam in 2 weeks.

I think I'm going to pass already, and I hope you're freakin out . . . or else I'm in trouble. ;- )

I am scheduled for step III in the next week. took the nbme, again (after scoring, lets just say pretty badly about 3 mths ago (score then <300)). Have been studying very hard since, and improved to 450 today. Better, yes, but I am still worried about CCS. Have been studying for that too (USMLEWORLD CCS, actually) and just want to know if anyone knows how that portion plays into the exam. I've heard all kinds of theories. I guess all one can do is prepare the best they can for this and take their chances, but any further idea how to improve this? Thanks.

also, how do those nbme questions fair to the actual questions? I remember vagely taking the nbme(s) for step I and II, and their questions then seemed to be shorter than the actual exam (a little easier too). Any thoughts on this?