Please help,need advice on Jan pcat result

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysteriousCIA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to SDN so i'll start by saying HELLO!!!!!!
I took the january pcat, and i'm wondering if i can really get admission with my stats, which are as follows:
Chemistry= 85
Quantitative = 85
Biology= 88
Verbal= 58 :(
Reading &com= 28 :(
Writting = 3 :(
Science GPA = 4.0
Overall GPA= 3.85
This was my first attempt and i had not taken any organic chemistry nor calculus when i took it. I ran out of time on the reading section. I am thinking about taking it again in June or October. But i will be taking calculus over the summer. Will studying from May 19-june 24 while taking calculus be possible for me to make an excellent score or should i just retake it in November? But in the mean time are these scores useless? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

What year student are you and what was your composite?

mysteriousCIA said:
This was my first attempt and i had not taken any organic chemistry nor calculus when i took it. I ran out of time on the reading section. I am thinking about taking it again in June or October. But i will be taking calculus over the summer. Will studying from May 19-june 24 while taking calculus be possible for me to make an excellent score or should i just retake it in November? But in the mean time are these scores useless? Thanks for your help.
It depends on your situation,studying habits/time management etc, if youre only taking calculus, then yes its posssible. But if your taking other classes plus, job etc...or your one of these people who think that summer is a time to 'abuse your liver' and 'get your swerve on!' while studying then IMHO you should take it in Oct. Youre not the first person to mess up the first time, g'luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake it in June. You will improve and have your scores all set for applying early

A pharm tech coworker took the test twice -- once in October and again in January. The first time he got similar science scores to yours but much worse reading/verbal scores and scored a 55 composite. The second time he took it, he not only got stellar science scores, but bumped up his reading/verbal scores and got a 91 Composite. Be proud of your science scores and try to improve your reading/verbal scores and you'll be aces. Don't stress and put the exam off until November. You did fine for a first time. Take it in June and good luck!!! :thumbup:

crossjb said:
Retake it in June. You will improve and have your scores all set for applying early

A pharm tech coworker took the test twice -- once in October and again in January. The first time he got similar science scores to yours but much worse reading/verbal scores and scored a 55 composite. The second time he took it, he not only got stellar science scores, but bumped up his reading/verbal scores and got a 91 Composite. Be proud of your science scores and try to improve your reading/verbal scores and you'll be aces. Don't stress and put the exam off until November. You did fine for a first time. Take it in June and good luck!!! :thumbup:

What did he do to prepare for the second time?

so i guess that despite my GPA, i will not be able to use these pcat scores. i feel so frustrated....... :(

mysteriousCIA said:
so i guess that despite my GPA, i will not be able to use these pcat scores. i feel so frustrated....... :(

You can use those PCAT scores. Your GPA is a huge plus and a 75 -- while not as high a composite as you'd probably like -- isn't that bad. Your science scores are all very competitive. The only thing that might hurt you is your reading/verbal, but you can improve on those if you do retake the PCAT. People let themselves get frustrated when they see everyone on here posting 99 scores, but keep perspective and realize you're in a better position than you might think. I assume you're applying for fall 2007, so relax...

To answer highlyfavored above, my friend improved the 2nd time out for a few reasons. One, the PCAT rarely changes and he was more comfortable w/the reading passages/analogies the 2nd time out. Also, he went over the practice exams in Barron's/Peterson's/Kaplan's like a hawk to get used to the structure of the PCAT. Repetitive studying using several sources really helped him out. Use more than one study source!

hollynbaby said:
congrats! a 75 is an awesome score! :)
no it isnt (and im being honest, not mean-spirited) its just adequate & I doubt any adcom would call it 'awesome' either

Serenity Now!!! said:
no it isnt (and im being honest, not mean-spirited) its just adequate & I doubt any adcom would call it 'awesome' either

on the contrary, 75 composite is well above the middle-50%, and quiet often the average PCAT score accepted. so congrats again!