Please help. Need Advice retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwalia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying this cycle my application was submitted July 31 and mailed out August 12. Due to family problems I could take my DAT until October.
My scores were

PAT 21 (87.9)
QR 19 (91.2)
RC 20 (64.3)
Bio 17 (49.2) (OUCH! but was expecting it)
Gen. Chem 21 (87.0)
Orgo 23 (94.4)
TS 20 (85.2)
AA 20 (87.6)
I know overall I did ok, but I am really really worried about bio. especially because I submitted my scores so late. Going in I knew I wasn't prepared for bio at all (I left it for the last minute), but I couldn't postpone any longer. I know I can't do anything else for this cycle, but in the case that I have reapply because of my scores I want to start preparing in a month.
I have a 3.7 GPA, 3.67 Science. I have volunteered at a dental office, been involved in outreach programs and have done
I Need your honest opinion, any input would help!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn dude, that sucks. Its a pretty tough call. I know you don't want to hear this, but if I were you I would consider a retake. Everything else is legit, its that BIO score. If you really don't want to, try calling up the schools your interested in and ask them. Good luck :thumbup:.

There is no way I would retake. 20AA? Everything pretty solid except the Bio, but the 17 on bio isn't THAT bad at all. It's the cutoff for most schools. You have a solid gpa, don't retake imo.

if you retake you need to improve, otherwise it will be pointless. Only retake if you think you can score higher in all sections. Your grades and dat are good, so I think you have a good chance even if your bio is a little low. It's really all up to you and whether you think you can greatly improve or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
No retake.

Your DAT and GPA is fine unless you were thinking Harvard. So yes, you are fine. Just wait for your interviews to come.

absolutley no retake. ur science gpa makes up for that 17 one million times over. my best advice to you is do not listen much to ppl on sdn...because they really have NO IDEA how anything works....just my two cents.

absolutley no retake. ur science gpa makes up for that 17 one million times over. my best advice to you is do not listen much to ppl on sdn...because they really have NO IDEA how anything works....just my two cents.

I agree in certain situations, but aren’t you kinda contradicting yourself here? “Hey, don’t retake, but don’t listen to me.” I see your point but its kinda ironic lol

If the OP is that concerned with his/her score and they think that they can pull their scores up then I say go for it. If you retake and pull off a 21AA or 22AA then you'll have a better chance than with a 20AA. But, I think with a 20AA and your gpa's you have a really good chance. It's all up to the OP. However, I would not retake unless you were extremely confident that you could improve. A 17 in bio should not hold you back due to your good grades and overall performance on the DAT.

Thank you guys sooo very much! You've been very helpful. Since i've already applied I don't think i'll retake. The only other section other than bio. that I may be able to improve is the reading and the quatitative reasoning which are long shots as it its. Thank again guys! You've help calm my nerves a bit :)

Do not retake! That's a pretty good score. They will overlook that, unless you really want to get into UCLA and those big schools. But you have to consider that you might do worse. So do not retake. Unless you really really think you can do better.

Now, you can take the class, but keep in mind it has costs in the several hundred dollar range; but if you can afford that, go for it!

You seem to be better with maths and science than with Reading and English. My advice is to own the fudge out of the Math and Science sections of your book, so that the next time you take it you can get a MUCH higher score on those parts (like a 32 or something) and then, even if you still do poorly on the English and Reading parts, your Math and Science parts will bring them up