Mar 3, 2015
94
26
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Hi everyone!

So here's my situation:
I applied during the previous 2015-2016 application cycle and was placed on the waitlist for school X. This school X begins next month, but they happened to call me today saying that they were accepting me off the waitlist.

On the other hand, when this current 2016-2017 application cycle opened a few weeks ago, I submitted my early decision application to school Y. I did this without knowing that I would get accepted off the waitlist to school X a few days after. I never would've imagined I would get accepted off the waitlist to school X since school X is about to begin next month.

I was wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts about this?

If accepted to the early decision school Y, am I obligated to attend? I know technically early decision is a binding contract, but I was accepted to school X from the previous application cycle.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)
 
OP
D
Mar 3, 2015
94
26
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
I won't hear back from early decision school Y until September. I was also wondering if it would be okay for me to attend school X in August, and then if accepted to early decision school Y, if it would be okay for me to leave school X and attend school Y instead (which would begin next year)?

Thanks!:)
 

Grizzlyman

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
80
24
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
You not "obliged" to go to early decision nor are you liable for any cost. You cannot however shop schools as PTCAS will not allow further applications.

If you quit one school to start another it would certainly not be the most professional thing to do because it affects other students and possibly the income of one school, but that is more of a personal issue. The more technical issue would be, if you accept going to school this fall would they report it to PTCAS and would that affect your ED. You should call PTCAS and ask.
 
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2014
27
4
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
If you want to go to school X, contact school Y and tell them what happened and kindly ask them to withdraw your application. If you want to go to school Y, decline your admission to school X and see what happens.

I'd take school X over Y as you already got in and you can earn 1 (or more) years of income.
 

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
1,021
556
Status
Physical Therapist
What are the major differences between schools in terms of overall costs, need to relocate, length of program and other big factors (like one school not having great board rates or something)?

What's your realistic view on ability to get into school Y?
 

Highlife.himalayas

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2015
64
11
If you want to go to school X, contact school Y and tell them what happened and kindly ask them to withdraw your application. If you want to go to school Y, decline your admission to school X and see what happens.

I'd take school X over Y as you already got in and you can earn 1 (or more) years of income.
What are your stats and how do they compare to the previously accepted cohorts for school Y?

If it were me, I'd feel pretty darn lucky to be taken off the wait list. But then again if your heart's set on school Y then moving forward with school X might be harder than you think. This is where you'll spend the next three years of your life, and you need to really figure out what's important to you (curriculum, networking, faculty, etc) and what school can offer what.

I'm wondering, if you don't mind sharing that is, what school Y is? If it's Chapman, PM me. I'm also applying ED.
 
OP
D
Mar 3, 2015
94
26
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Thanks for all of your responses! They are tremendously helpful and appreciative!:)

I am still thinking about which school to decide on, just in case you all were wondering.

Thanks!:)
 

aroszko

5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2013
175
71
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Thanks for all of your responses! They are tremendously helpful and appreciative!:)

I am still thinking about which school to decide on, just in case you all were wondering.

Thanks!:)
Did you accept your offer at X, most times when accepted off the waitlist you only have so long to put down your deposit (like sometimes only 24 hours) because if you don't then the offer your spot to someone else to try and fill the class before the program starts.

Also I would go with X, since you did early decision for the new cycle its fine for you to accept X. I think its a gamble waiting for Y and if you accept Y you have to wait a year to start when you can just start next month and be that much closer.