Please HELP!!!! need some advice!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmeDOhelpme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Do not cross-post in multiple forums as it is against the TOS. Your thread in Gen Res will likely be deleted soon.

2. IIRC (and aPD or others, please correct me if I'm wrong here), DOs applying to allo programs MUST release their COMLEX scores.

3. You're actually probably going to be OK. Although board scores are used in all aspects of the interview/rank process, one of the major areas they're used is in the initial screen prior to deciding who to interview. So the fact that you've got so many interview offers already bodes well for you. Just release the COMLEX scores and be done with it, you have passing scores on both Levels. You should probably take USMLE Step 1, just to try to buff your stats. But be sure to hold off on releasing the score until you get to see it. A good score will help you, a crappy score or failure will definitely hurt you.

OK, I deleted the other posts...

My issue is this: nowhere in my application is it listed that I failed. My MSPE only lists my USMLE Score. All 4 of my LORs point to my USMLE score of 93. And in my application I only listed my successes (I realize now that I was supposed to list ALL attempts, I contacted ERAS when I realized this and they said it was too late to change it since I already submitted)

So, if and when I submit my COMLEX scores, this will be the first time a program finds out about my two failed attempts.

I think this is the only way I got so many interviews... because I made it through the filters....

Basically, in my viewpoint I have two ways of proceeding.

1) Dont release my COMLEX scores, release it only when asked about them, and deal with the feeling in the pit of my stomach like I am basically lying.
2) Release my COMLEX scores, let them see my failed attempts, and feel morally justified in my actions.

I don't know if not releasing your COMLEX scores will have an impact on your interview trail, except for raising red flags and getting asked the COMLEX questions at interviews, which you will have to answer honestly. I think the big issue will be when it comes time to rank. If you haven't released your COMLEX scores by then, I have a feeling you will have trouble even being ranked by programs since they won't have a score for Level 2 PE on file, let alone any Level 1 scores.

Thanks for your input... Am I going to be the first person with 20+ interviews and has to scramble!

I dug myself into a little hole, and I dont really know what to do.

I am even considering taking USMLE Step 1! And to put it bluntly I would rather gauge my eyes out with a newly sharpened electric caddle prod.

I guess my best way to proceed is to
1) Not release scores
2) During the interview be honest
3) Send them COMLEX Scores in late January.

haha...I would feel the same way about taking Step 1 at this point in the game. Your plan seems like a good one for your situation. Hopefully you don't have to scramble. Just be honest when asked about your situation. I think that's probably the most important thing!

2. IIRC (and aPD or others, please correct me if I'm wrong here), DOs applying to allo programs MUST release their COMLEX scores.

Close, but you've confused the rule. DO applicants to ACGME programs must release their USMLE transcript, if they've taken a step. There is no rule that they must release COMLEX to ACGME programs. Many of the programs to which the OP is applying might require it, but there is no overarching rule about it

3. You're actually probably going to be OK. Although board scores are used in all aspects of the interview/rank process, one of the major areas they're used is in the initial screen prior to deciding who to interview. So the fact that you've got so many interview offers already bodes well for you. Just release the COMLEX scores and be done with it, you have passing scores on both Levels. You should probably take USMLE Step 1, just to try to buff your stats. But be sure to hold off on releasing the score until you get to see it. A good score will help you, a crappy score or failure will definitely hurt you.

I guess taking Step 1, and doing well on it, would help. If you do poorly, not so much....

It's hard to know what to do. Whether not listing your prior attempts on ERAS is considered application fraud is unclear. The safest thing to do is release your COMLEX report to all programs at the end of interview season. Programs may request your COMLEX report after the match, perhaps for licensing (if a training license is required for the state you match to), and then you could be in trouble.

So, I guess my best bet is to report my COMLEX scores in late January