Please help! Not sure about DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djidjie

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I want to apply this cycle but I have not taken the DAT yet. I am having a dilemma on what to do. I am currently scheduled to take the DAT in early June and started seriously studying for it today. I just finished school and I am taking a break from work. I had been "studying" a few weeks before today but I am a full-time student and also work and take care of my family. I did not really have much time. So my studying was like 1 hour a day when I had time and I mostly forgot what I had been trying to study. I have a high GPA, good activities outside of school, and have my letters of recommendation. I am just not sure if I will have time to be ready to take the DAT by early June. But, I am afraid if I move my DAT to July it will be too late. Even though I have good numbers and extracurriculars, my dream school would probably be UCLA (I am out of state) and there are tons of incredible applicants I don't think I am outstanding or special. I am afraid taking the DAT in July would make my chances super low as it probably won't be verified until august. I could just keep my June date but for that, I am afraid of getting a bad score or a low score. I don't know I have been thinking about this all day and kind of going crazy. I would appreciate any advice or help.

Members don't see this ad.

July isn’t really late. The better score is definitely worth it imo

Reactions: 1 user
Are you using a program to study(I needed one)? How long do you plan to study per day? What methods are you using?

We don't know when your DAT is. If it's early June, then it'd definitely make sense to move it IF you make a solid plan for the extra time.

If it's late June, and you already plan to study 4-8 hours a day consistently, then I think that would be plenty of time(Personally don't think many people need more than 8 weeks unless they have to fully relearn a concept).

Nobody really knows but you. You have to be objective and honest with yourself about how well you've learned the material before, how you study, and how long it takes you to become proficient at the subjects on the DAT. You may never feel ready to take it(I sure as hell didn't) but if you focus on these aspects you can make sure you will be prepared in time to score well.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was in the same boat last year. I took my dat august 12th and had everything verified by august 30th. I received 7 interview invites prior to december 1st--I did score a 23AA though. Most schools don't start looking applications until mid august; only a handful of schools start giving out interviews in august. Taking the dat a bit later for a better score is definitely more worth it than submitting "early." I know many applicants who applied "early" first thing in June with average scores and have been ghosted.

I was in the same situation as you last year! I ended up taking my dat July 2nd, but submitted my entire application 2 days after submission started in June. The application takes a little while to be verified anyways so submitting before your test is a solid option. I got plenty of interviews and didn't think it was a disadvantage at all. I think feeling confident and getting a solid score is more important than submitting the score earlier. You can submit your application before you take the dat (I would recommend) and then send your unofficial score the same day you take it! Some schools will accept that score before you get your official one :) You can message me if you want to talk more, but most importantly don't stress! You got this!

Reactions: 1 user
People make it seem like if you apply after June there is a 0 chance of getting into Dental school, which is not true. There are advantages to applying early, but you shouldn't treat it like it's a deal breaker.