Step II PLEASE HELP... Odd step 2 timing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

irishranger2013

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So at my school, we do a year of clinicals before taking step 1 (18 month pre-clinical curriculum). Typically, students take step 1 in February of their 3rd year and then squeeze in step 2 whenever the have time (usually many months after completing their core rotations).

I have a "free" month in October of this year and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into taking step 2 CK before taking step 1. The reason I ask is that I will have completed psych, OBGYN, peds and medicine by that time and will just be lacking surgery. I think it would be nice to take step 2 while all of the information I have learned from my clerkships is fresh in my head rather than being months removed from them when I actually take step 2. From what I have heard, the surgery information on step 2 is basically medicine (which I will just have finished come October).

If anyone has any insight into this situation or any thoughts/concerns, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!