Please help - physics prereq advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlanticaccra

Reaction score
I’m currently taking my first semester of physics at a CC. I’m waiting to register for my second semester of physics at this CC but I’m getting nervous about seats filling up - there were two sections for this fall but only one section for this spring - so I’m nervous it will fill up before I am able to register. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do if I don’t get the seat? I’ve already applied to schools and the majority of them need a second semester of physics. There is a CC I have many units at due to taking GEs over multiple summers, that I think I could get into their class as a backup, however, this school is a quarter system and not semester like the CC I’m currently at. Does anyone know if schools would allow me to have one semester of physics and one quarter of physics as a pre-req??? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently taking my first semester of physics at a CC. I’m waiting to register for my second semester of physics at this CC but I’m getting nervous about seats filling up - there were two sections for this fall but only one section for this spring - so I’m nervous it will fill up before I am able to register. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do if I don’t get the seat? I’ve already applied to schools and the majority of them need a second semester of physics. There is a CC I have many units at due to taking GEs over multiple summers, that I think I could get into their class as a backup, however, this school is a quarter system and not semester like the CC I’m currently at. Does anyone know if schools would allow me to have one semester of physics and one quarter of physics as a pre-req??? Thank you!
It's been a few years since I went through the application process (current second-year) so you may want to do some double-checking to make sure I'm not misinforming you on anything :)

In my experience I had to specify whether each school I included worked on a semester or quarter system, but I think that was largely for GPA calculation purposes and classes are based on the number of credit hours rather than quarter/semester. Don't worry if you already entered it tentatively on VMCAS as one or the other, they recognize that things change. If you have any doubts at all though I would recommend getting in touch with admissions at the schools you're worried about just to be absolutely sure.

Reactions: 1 user
There are usually fewer people who want to continue in physics after taking the first semester. Some CC will open up another section if the wait list is long enough. Some CC will have a bunch of people drop it after the first day. So I don't think you need to panic just yet.

Vet schools want to make sure you've had enough education to be prepared, so it generally doesn't matter whether you're taking courses on a semester or a quarter system. The courses just have to cover an appropriate amount of material. So if the school wants 8 semester hours of physics, you can take 4sh + 6qh to meet the requirement. If you're worried about whether a specific course will meet a prereq, it's a good idea to contact the school directly to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly even if you can't get in, just show up the first day and ask to be added. Someone always drops. I've never seen a professor turn somebody away. Or contact your school counselor / whatever academic person approves your schedules and try to ask them to force add you. They absolutely can, and "I got into vet school and my admission will be revoked if I don't take this class" is a darn good reason to be added.

Thank you all for the advice! I emailed the professor and a few counselors at the school explaining my situation, and it sounds like if it does happen that the seats fill up, I could get a petition to add and the professor sounds like he would add me to the class. Starting to feel a bit optimistic now