Please help- Probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopeTo99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm a pgy-1 in a pathology residency program (a foreign medical grad) and I've been having issues in the program since starting in July. Mostly with following hospital grossing protocol, protocols for formalin spill, things like that, on surgical pathology. I have been consistently getting bad evaluations. I have no problems with the pathology itself (I've been told I have a good eye) and I'm able to come up with good differentials, gross complicated specimens etc.. I have a strong basic science background. I think I'm pretty advanced for my level of training but my inability to adapt to their system and act and say things the way they want me to has led to me being put on probation for four months now. There have been professionalism issues raised by the pd as well like inappropriately texting the residents and the attending and not participating in conferences such as gross conferences. They said I've made significant progress but she decided to put me on probation for another month. The program director isn't too fond of me which is why she has me under her radar all the time. She watches my every move and constantly asks the ancillary staff and attendings about my performance. My question is, how can I get through this difficult period without getting kicked out of this program? Is it possible to transfer to another program if I'm successfully remediated? What are my chances of getting a fellowship now that this has happened? I'm interested in cp, possibly heme or transfusion.
Thanks so much.
Just follow procedure, work hard, show up to everything and stop acting unprofessional, every conversation, email and text needs to be professional.

Reactions: 1 users
Your best chances are sticking to current program and work hard. Keep your head down and don't react to the situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I'm a pgy-1 in a pathology residency program (a foreign medical grad) and I've been having issues in the program since starting in July. Mostly with following hospital grossing protocol, protocols for formalin spill, things like that, on surgical pathology. I have been consistently getting bad evaluations. I have no problems with the pathology itself (I've been told I have a good eye) and I'm able to come up with good differentials, gross complicated specimens etc.. I have a strong basic science background. I think I'm pretty advanced for my level of training but my inability to adapt to their system and act and say things the way they want me to has led to me being put on probation for four months now. There have been professionalism issues raised by the pd as well like inappropriately texting the residents and the attending and not participating in conferences such as gross conferences. They said I've made significant progress but she decided to put me on probation for another month. The program director isn't too fond of me which is why she has me under her radar all the time. She watches my every move and constantly asks the ancillary staff and attendings about my performance. My question is, how can I get through this difficult period without getting kicked out of this program? Is it possible to transfer to another program if I'm successfully remediated? What are my chances of getting a fellowship now that this has happened? I'm interested in cp, possibly heme or transfusion.
Thanks so much.

Why would we NOT participate in conferences? What exactly is this inappropriate texting?

I'm not a resident yet, but work is work. In pathology especially, you have to be efficiently reading and internalize this galaxy's worth of knowledge there. You dont hav time to be inappropriate texting people O_O.

Follow their protocols to the letter, go to ALL conferences, stop texting residents and staff, be ON TIME, stay LATE, and DONT COMPLAIN ONE BIT.

It sounds like the PD was lukewarm on giving you a chance and is now regretting her decision. Dont give her ANY reason to axe you. I dont know if this is a malignant program or if there truly is a problem with your conduct and the PD is having none of it.

TBH it sounds like you lack drive and hope. You put only half effort into things because you dont see a payoff. I read your earlier posts and you mentioned that you were in a clinical field in Canada and dropped out because youd rather train in path in the USA. You also got bad evals in that program, so that tells me you gave up while you were still working there and it showed. Thats not a good attitude to have. trust me I've been there. Gets you nowhere. Just keep it in the front of your mind that things will get better, and if you have a duty, do it and do it well. Within a few years you'll notice a big change.

Reactions: 4 users
Follow their protocols to the letter, go to ALL conferences, stop texting residents and staff, be ON TIME, stay LATE, and DONT COMPLAIN ONE BIT.

It sounds like the PD was lukewarm on giving you a chance and is now regretting her decision. Dont give her ANY reason to axe you. I dont know if this is a malignant program or if there truly is a problem with your conduct and the PD is having none of it.

TBH it sounds like you lack drive and hope. You put only half effort into things because you dont see a payoff. I read your earlier posts and you mentioned that you were in a clinical field in Canada and dropped out because youd rather train in path in the USA. You also got bad evals in that program, so that tells me you gave up while you were still working there and it showed. Thats not a good attitude to have. trust me I've been there. Gets you nowhere. Just keep it in the front of your mind that things will get better, and if you have a duty, do it and do it well. Within a few years you'll notice a big change.

I can get on board with this. You have to be efficient. Efficiency and discipline are both necessary keys to success in life.

Perhaps I only texted them because I felt alone when I first started. I feel that the program is malignant (something that I'm beginning to realize) which is why I'm unhappy here but if they give me a chance then I'll stick it out and finish the program.

Okay dude. You can't make excuses for your behavior. You are a professional and you live like a professional now.

If you are lonely, use this: www.meetup.com . Keep all interactions with faculty, residents and staff professional at ALL times.

Reactions: 1 user

Jupiter has hit this one on the head. For your sake you MUST heed
his advice or you WILL be hx at that program. If you leave, the same problem will recur, unless you have an epiphany.

Actually, I loathed lectures as a resident. They were required, so I went, but the unGodly hour and lack of lecturing ability of my faculty made it pretty much worthless. I echo earlier sentiments: it’s a job...meet the expectations. Keep your head down. And don’t use fellow residents/faculty as a social group...be polite but that’s really it. My first year, I had issues with my co-residents because I invested too much socially. I’m an AMG and have had a number of jobs during college and high school, and despite this, I sought a social atmosphere at my workplace, which went very, very poorly. It’s part of learning to adjust from “student” to “coworker”.

Med schools do a ****ty job of teaching professionalism and programs expect you to know it coming in. We had several IMGs where I trained who adjusted poorly because of culture-differences. But they did adjust...PDs will steer you to the correct/expected path If you just listen to them. And remember, the motto of residency is “This too shall pass.”

Be careful how you seem to blame this on the PD, they have the internet too and your situation seems rather identifiable

How amusing that a medical student has made his way over here to lecture us on how to succeed in residency. Oh please tell us more, oh wise and humble medical student. :laugh:

Why would we NOT participate in conferences? What exactly is this inappropriate texting?

I'm not a resident yet, but work is work. In pathology especially, you have to be efficiently reading and internalize this galaxy's worth of knowledge there. You dont hav time to be inappropriate texting people O_O.

How amusing that a medical student has made his way over here to lecture us on how to succeed in residency. Oh please tell us more, oh wise and humble medical student. :laugh:

I didn't know that residency precludes someone from having the common sense to treat work as work. Me being a medical student doesn't have anything to do with it.

Thank you everyone. I will work hard to pass. I appreciate the replies.

Don't worry, I'm not blaming anybody. I just thought I could get some advice from sdn.