Please help!!! Question about Pass/No Pass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jigabodo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently a student in UC Davis, and due to a heavy course load this quarter (4 sciences classes, research, shadowing, and DAT courses) I am thinking about changing one of the 4 science classes to Pass/No Pass.

The class that I am thinking about changing to pass/no pass grading is MCB 144, and it is one of the classes for my major requirements. I was wondering when applying to dental school, would they be able to see the actual grade that I got for this pass/no pass class and would this be counted toward my dental school GPA?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

..it is one of the classes for my major requirements...

Thank you!

I am a major advisor and in our department if a class is required for the major it MAY NOT be taken pass/no pass. Sure you can change it to pass/no pass but don't plan on majoring in MCB unless you retake it for a letter grade...

Hey I go to Davis too!! If you're in the college of Bio Sci then you HAVE to take it for a letter grade. If you're in college of letters & science or college of ag, then they have a limit of how many units you can take pass/nopass. I think Sandy is the advisor for MCB. Good luck w/ all that!! P.S. I hope you never have to take a class from Segel!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental schools will not see your grade. Whether it matters or not depends on whether the class is required by that school. Not all d-schools require MCB.

Thank you all for answering me. I was also wondering if workload classes like workload english/chemistry/math count toward dental school GPA? In UC Davis, though you will receive an actual grade for taking workload courses, the units for the course show up as 0 credit on transcript. (However, you still receive credits for workload courses, they count toward total units needed for graduation but show up creditless on your transcript - dont' ask me why, I don't understand either) I was wondering will that affect my AADSAS GPA?

Thank you!