PLEASE HELP: research project on pet population

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurehealervet

Tufts C/O 2019 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI Everyone,
I'm doing a research project on the pet population in NYC and was hoping perhaps you guys might help. I need to examine the push for reform, what parties are involved, etc. Based on what I've read in the PETA thread, I just want to learn more about the motivations of different groups involved and thought I might gain some insight from you guys. Does anyone have anything they can share about this topic? Any thoughts about who thinks it is a problem vs. who doesn't, opinions about effective population management strategies, current legislation, really anything related to the topic. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

HI Everyone,
I'm doing a research project on the pet population in NYC and was hoping perhaps you guys might help. I need to examine the push for reform, what parties are involved, etc. Based on what I've read in the PETA thread, I just want to learn more about the motivations of different groups involved and thought I might gain some insight from you guys. Does anyone have anything they can share about this topic? Any thoughts about who thinks it is a problem vs. who doesn't, opinions about effective population management strategies, current legislation, really anything related to the topic. Thanks!

I need to do more research on the topic but from what I know of rescue orgs and pet overpopulation in NYC is that Animal Care and Control is quagmire of incompetence with questionable welfare standards. They are ridiculously underfunded but also don't seem to do anything about it. I can remember a few years ago when I was working with a cat rescue (that routinely pulled cats from the euth list that goes out every night) hearing that they could no longer afford wet food for any animals, including lactating mothers. I fostered an amazing owner surrendered 6-year old cat who was put on the euthanasia list for having conjunctivitis (which he contracted at the shelter). For a city that prides itself on being so liberal and progressive our shelter system is a huge embarrassment.

I'm not sure how accurate these claims are but here's a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Animal_Care_and_Control

Also look into the Mayor's Alliance and Maddie's Fund. The Mayor's Alliance funded the TNR course I took a few years ago through Neighborhood cats.

Last edited:
Im honestly not entirely sure what you're looking for or if I can help but I am with the medical department of a "kill" [medical and behavior issues) shelter in FL. My shelter is looking into a more comprehensive population control method and we routinely pull animals from high kill shelters in the southeast.

If I can help, I will. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if I can help either but I've been heavily involved in rescue on the west coast - Southern California specifically. I am a founding member of a nonprofit and we only take animals that are scheduled to be euthanized. We euthanize only in certain cases - like severe behavioral issues that are beyond repair and medical conditions where the animal is suffering. Here there is a huge pet over population problem, specifically in the inland empire area. There are quite a few high kill shelters just because they don't have much funding and have way too many animals coming in. The area is infamous for backyard breeding and is likely part of the problem. There are quite a few rescues around here and we all work together to an extent to save as many animals as possible. But this is Southern California, not sure about NYC!

I have a friend who lives in CT and she had to go to the south to rescue a dog because apparently there aren't many homeless pets there. It's interesting that overpopulation seems to be demographic.

HI , thanks for your responses! It really doesn't matter where you are, any metropolitan area will probably be similar to NYC. Im supposed to follow any and all leads so there really isn't anything specific I need. If you guys feel you know something important pertaining to pet overpopulation, please go for it!