Please help the incoming D1 student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be D1 stduent this August. I would like to know how much of following courses will help you in dental schools.
1. Anatomy
2. Physiology
3. Biochemistry

Another question, if above courses are very important, why dental schools do not put them into pre-requisite? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by grettlin2
I will be D1 stduent this August. I would like to know how much of following courses will help you in dental schools.
1. Anatomy
2. Physiology
3. Biochemistry

Another question, if above courses are very important, why dental schools do not put them into pre-requisite? Thanks.
Very helpful. And IUSD *does* include them all in its prerequisites.

aphistis, thanks for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
not all dental school requires biochem and physiology and anatomy as pre-req. but many times they recommend that you take these classes prior to coming into dental school.

So, if you have a chance to take these classes, then you should, just so that you won't be overwhelm when you see the materials for the first time in dental school, when you will be taking many classes and always pressed for time due to the amount of course load.

Good luck,

I would say those classes would make things easier but it is fine if you don't have them. I never had them or anything like them and have been doing fine.

They are helpful classes, that much is for sure. The degree to which they are essential is going to vary from school to school.

For example, at my school, we covered a new body system each week. So, rather than learning ALL physiology or ALL biochemistry at one time, it was broken down into smaller components. I think this probably made it much more manageable for those who were new to the subject matter. For example, when studying the kidneys we had the histo, anatomy, biochem, physiology, pathology of the kidney all in one week.

Thanks for your answers, "Big Bro".