Please help! Western VS. Miswestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hersheyslove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not think there are thread like this. Please help me to make my decision.
I go to UC Irvine and my family is in OC. I would love to be with my family.

BUT

The thing is my boyfriend just recently broke up with me (4 years together) and it is the most hardest thing ever. He goes to Cal State Pomona, which is near Western. I just imagine that i cannot focus on my study if i go to school in Pomona.

p.s I know it is stupid to post my love life here please don't hate.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Midwestern -- you've clearly been in the southern California area too long. You sometime have to move out of your element to really figure out who you are and what you want. And, I'm sure Arizona will offer up some great men for you to meet!

Go to Western b/c I have friends on the waitlist at MW....LOL.....us Arizona guys are too hot for you to handle anway!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry to hear that. It must be very hard time for you.
It would be better for you to get over him if you don't see him.
I am in the MWU waiting list though.
Hope you feel better soon. :xf:

Go to Western b/c I have friends on the waitlist at MW....LOL.....us Arizona guys are too hot for you to handle anway!!!

:laugh::smuggrin::thumbup:

You must be young OP. To have a break-up determine the rest of your life must be hard.

Your fate in life is not determined by someone else. It is determined by the choices that YOU make.

Don't base your decision off of him. Pick the school you would want to go to if they were both right next to each other. The location is similar (i'm from east coast so anything over there is bout the same to me :)).

you dont want to go to MWU and then regret picking it to move away from him.

Do some research... and start learning right now how to make decisions that aren't based around him. (Which is probably what you've been used to for the past 3-4 years). It'll be hard but you can do it girl!

The rest will ALWAYS work itself out!
In the end everything will be OK. If its not OK... then its not the end. :thumbup:

I don't know much about Western but I'm D1 at MWU and have nothing but good things to say about my experience over here so far. Getting away from home could be an adventure, afterall, you are not THAT far from home anyways, about 4-5 hours.

I wouldn't look at it as your boyfriend determining the rest of your life. You'll be a dentist no matter where you go.

Thank you guys!
It seem right now i am leaning toward Midwestern!!!I hope people are nice over there :D

Go to Western b/c I have friends on the waitlist at MW....LOL.....us Arizona guys are too hot for you to handle anway!!! :laugh:

That was pretty rude! Seems like you are overcompensating to help boost your ego... Too hot huh.. hmm I doubt it.

That was pretty rude! Seems like you are overcompensating to help boost your ego... Too hot huh.. hmm I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure he was joking. chill out chica. chill out. but it is true about us AZ guys. You know it's true. ;)

I was making a joke in reference to one of the posters above, as he/she said there were plenty of guys in AZ for the OP to meet. It was a just a joke, and a fairly tame and innocent one at that.

Last edited:
I've been in similar situations as this and I really think that since you are in class all day you will forget him faster no matter where you are. Stick with Western.

Hey..
I WOULD LOVE to be in your shoe right now. Deciding which school I wanna attend. Who cares, boys or girls......there are millions of them out there. ONE WONT MATTER. You're gonna be toooooo busy to do anything crazy in D school anyway.

Dont make any decision based on little things like that. Its 4 years of your life in 1 place. Choose the school you like better, western

I'm in the exact same situation as you (except 7 years for me)... I mean exactly... Same schools too... All I can say is go where you'll be happiest and don't let him determine where you can be happy though... I chose Western because I love California... I have all my friends here and my family... Both school aren't "fully accredited" yet so that can't really weigh into your decision... In my personal opinion Midwestern is a great school in general... I was getting my masters there and I loved it but I did miss LA and all my friends here... I feel that both schools have similar atmospheres so the decision really is whether you want to be close to family and friends or you want to try something new... Goodluck with your decision... Hopefully I see you at Western! If not have fun at Midwestern!

pomona does have a lot of low income ppl so i could see that western won't have problems with patient pool. but yea the area isn't so safe.

glendale has a lot of retired ppl...if i do end up going to mwu i'm still worried about the patient pool. area is safer but it's so dammnn hot!!

pomona does have a lot of low income ppl so i could see that western won't have problems with patient pool. but yea the area isn't so safe.

glendale has a lot of retired ppl...if i do end up going to mwu i'm still worried about the patient pool. area is safer but it's so dammnn hot!!

if you go to western and are concerned about "safety", there are many cities that are considered safe around that area (claremont, rancho cucamonga, upland, west covina etc...)

If someone where to mess with me, I would man up and handle my business........ then give them my card so they can set up an appointment for dentures :laugh:

personally, unless your a female (directed to all pre-dents), i don't see why anyone should make a decision on a school based on the neighborhood it's in. These are the neighborhoods that usually lack proper dental care, and really benefit from such schools that provide cheap care.

if you go to western and are concerned about "safety", there are many cities that are considered safe around that area (claremont, rancho cucamonga, upland, west covina etc...)

If someone where to mess with me, I would man up and handle my business........ then give them my card so they can set up an appointment for dentures :laugh:

personally, unless your a female (directed to all pre-dents), i don't see why anyone should make a decision on a school based on the neighborhood it's in. These are the neighborhoods that usually lack proper dental care, and really benefit from such schools that provide cheap care.
I would recommend Chino, Montclair and Claremont which are really nice cities and very close by. Some of the D.O. students say they live mostly in Chino. It was about a 15 minute drive for me on surface streets and the traffic is rarely bad.

I grew up a few blocks away from Western, and it's not so bad. It's not SUPER-ghetto like some of the students seem to think. There's much worse only an hour away. I used to play outside and walk to my friends' houses at night. Just be smart, and you won't be like one of those USC students that got stabbed for starting a fight at 3 am in the morning while drunk.

Last edited: