Please help!! Which DO schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tank742011

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 503 (126, 125, 126, 126)
I planned on going MD but I had to work two jobs all summer to afford mcat and apps so I only prepped MCAT hard for 2 weeks, and my computer froze on CARS and lost 10 mins and yadada S%#T Happens, so now I'm working with it. Right now passion is in sports medicine through PM&R; dream is Ortho sports med but I'm a realist haha. I love the osteopathic approach, I think it fits well into sports medicine on a lot of levels so I'm not that upset about going DO, I just spent most of my time researching MD so I could use the help on which schools to apply to! Most of the schools that people "ranked" high on here were north and I want to go south, are there any strong DO's that way? Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Get your app in ASAP! Which state are you a resident of? How many schools do you have the budget to apply to? Obviously the more schools the better.

Reactions: 1 user
With that gpa? Psh. Anywhere you want OP. The only thing I would say is, the Touro schools (NV, CA, & NY) tend to like high MCAT scores, so those schools may be a little tougher for you, but if they appeal to you they are worth a shot! Same goes with the Midwestern schools (AZCOM & CCOM).. Your gpa may get you interviews there, but they tend to take people with higher MCAT scores from what I've seen.

If you're a MI resident, throw an app MSUCOM's way for sure. OOS tuition is somewhere around 80k.. so..

Other awesome schools:
1.) NSUCOM
2.) RVUCOM (CO & UT)
3.) VCOM (all 3 campuses; they love higher gpa's from what I hear)
4.) LECOM (Erie, Seton Hill, & Bradenton) Note that Bradenton only has the PBL curriculum, if you are an independent learner and work well in groups you will love PBL.
5.) KCUMB (aka KCUCOM)
6.) ACOM (newer school, but worth the consideration! Just read about what people have been saying about the school on here.)

Note: There are many more great schools than this (PCOM, A.T. Still, etc.) I'm just starting your list off.

Here's a thread to check out more schools and see who has been getting interview invites to said schools:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-interview-invite-thread-2016-2017-cycle.1197098/

The Osteopathic Medical College Information Book may help as well:
http://www.aacom.org/news-and-events/publications/cib

There are users who are great at making school lists for people on here, so I'm sure you'll get other great responses but this can at least start you out.

And make sure you spend a good amount of time on your secondary essays! They are really important for getting interviews (especially RVU). I highly recommend pre-writing them while you are waiting to hear back from schools. Use the Index List of Schools (DO Programs) thread to get the prompts ahead of time:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/alphabetical-index-of-school-specific-threads.1003401/

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All except Touro-NY, LUCOM, WmCarey, for reasons I have explained elsewhere.

cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 503 (126, 125, 126, 126)
I planned on going MD but I had to work two jobs all summer to afford mcat and apps so I only prepped MCAT hard for 2 weeks, and my computer froze on CARS and lost 10 mins and yadada S%#T Happens, so now I'm working with it. Right now passion is in sports medicine through PM&R; dream is Ortho sports med but I'm a realist haha. I love the osteopathic approach, I think it fits well into sports medicine on a lot of levels so I'm not that upset about going DO, I just spent most of my time researching MD so I could use the help on which schools to apply to! Most of the schools that people "ranked" high on here were north and I want to go south, are there any strong DO's that way? Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Get your app in ASAP! Which state are you a resident of? How many schools do you have the budget to apply to? Obviously the more schools the better.
I'm a resident of Ohio but will be working in Tennessee doing research which is why I was hoping southern because it will be tough for me to get to far away interviews. I can afford to apply to 5-6 schools max!

All except Touro-NY, LUCOM, WmCarey, for reasons I have explained elsewhere.
I was just wondering why you said no WmCarey? I really like the school but don't want to waste the money and time if you don't believe it is worth it.

Great GPA, but I'd avoid the high MCAT loving schools like CCOM, AZCOM, Touro-Ca, Touro-NY.

Go to the What Are My Chances board and look at Faha's recommendations for schools to apply to with your GPA/MCAT combo. Be strategic and include both safety and reach schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile