Please Help With Advice- 3.4 cumul, 2.9 science, 4'C's..

Started by popcorn11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

popcorn11

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,

I'm applying to Medical School this year and will be taking my MCATs next month (So will be submitting my application around August).

I am expecting a score around 30..

My cumulative gpa is a 3.4 which is okay but my science gpa is low (2.9)..

Its low because I had 2 C+ in G Chem freshman year, 1 C+ in ochem A my sophomore year, (but got an A in ochem b), but sadly I got another C+ in genetics my junior year.

I have been doing research, volunteering, and planning to write a solid personal statement.

I was wondering What are my chances for M.D and D.O school with these scores and applying in august? Or how much better would I have to do on the MCATs to make up for this GPA?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated😳
 
That science GPA is really low. It's hard to be optimistic about any allopathic acceptance, as you won't pass the numbers cut-off in the screening process, unless you raise it. You haven't proven you are capable of doing well in the stressful, all-science curriculum in med school (equivalent to taking 21 semester hours at one time). Taking more high-level science courses would help to prove you can do it (if you get all As from this time on). Your better bet would be to concentrate on applying DO. There, if you repeat the classes, ACOMAS will substitute the grade in their GPA calculation, if you repeat a course and do better.

I can't speak to your chances with DO if you apply with the current numbers, and not knowing your MCAT. Maybe check out the pre-osteopathic forum.
 
there are many factors with your science gpa that might help or hurt you. first, you will need a TON of either clinical or research experience (depending on the type of school you apply to). secondly, you are probably going to need to do a 1 year masters program after undergrad, THEN apply to med school
 
Try applying to the newest osteopathic medical schools like Rocky Vista, Pacific, VCOM, GA-PCOM, LECOM-Bradenton etc.. Good luck!