Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian student in 4th year. just in time to apply for residencies.
Step 1 score: 207
Step 2 CS: failed ( I have no idea how I failed this BS exam. I failed on communications BS part. my English prof and clinical knowledge was at the top scores).
Step 2 Ck score: Coming out October 7. I think the exam went well. I am hoping to get around 240s.

What should I do? I am planning to retake CS but should I still go ahead and apply for 2014 Match.
If I do the CS at the end of the month or October. My results are coming out on Dec. Please help me? I have no idea what to do

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Canadian student in 4th year. just in time to apply for residencies.
Step 1 score: 207
Step 2 CS: failed ( I have no idea how I failed this BS exam. I failed on communications BS part. my English prof and clinical knowledge was at the top scores).
Step 2 Ck score: Coming out October 7. I think the exam went well. I am hoping to get around 240s.

What should I do? I am planning to retake CS but should I still go ahead and apply for 2014 Match.
If I do the CS at the end of the month or October. My results are coming out on Dec. Please help me? I have no idea what to do

Are you an AMG or an IMG? I'm guessing you're not a CMG since you're taking all the Steps, or you could be. Just my guess.

Sorry.
I am a Canadian student in a Caribbean med school.
Please help me. Anyone can give me some guidance

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying for the US match 2014.
I wasn't even planning to back to Canada till now. After failing CS. It's too late to apply for CARMs this year. I haven't taken the MCCEE. I was planning to take it in November.

I am applying for the US match 2014.
I wasn't even planning to back to Canada till now. After failing CS. It's too late to apply for CARMs this year. I haven't taken the MCCEE. I was planning to take it in November.

I meant which programs. I'd say go for psych and family and apply broadly.

I'd say go for 2014 since 2015 is the year where the number of USMG's parallel the number of residencies so competition will be thru the roof. Depending on your step 2 performance, it may help offset your step 1 score. As for the CS, prepare to explain that.

CaRMS is much harder to match into but you'd have a clean slate there. If for whatever reason things don't work out in 2014, take MCCEE early on and try to get QE1 out of the way as well. To boost your chances in the US for 2015, do step 3 and do research.

I wanted to do IM but I think my chances are slim to non now.
My back up was family medicine. I guess that's gonna be my first choice.
How many programs should I apply? 50? 100? I don't wanna do psych at all.
And which areas? Northeast? Mid? Southwest?

I wanted to do IM but I think my chances are slim to non now.
My back up was family medicine. I guess that's gonna be my first choice.
How many programs should I apply? 50? 100? I don't wanna do psych at all.
And which areas? Northeast? Mid? Southwest?

I'm not sure about which areas but IM would be a hard sell based on your step 1 score. The average for USIMG's for IM is 225 or 226 I believe for people who matched in 2011 so it has to be at least that or better to have a good chance of matching for IMG's. And you should apply to as many as you possible can. Ppl I know are going for 200 to be safe. It all depends on your financial means as well.

I meant which programs. I'd say go for psych and family and apply broadly.

I'd say go for 2014 since 2015 is the year where the number of USMG's parallel the number of residencies so competition will be thru the roof. Depending on your step 2 performance, it may help offset your step 1 score. As for the CS, prepare to explain that.

CaRMS is much harder to match into but you'd have a clean slate there. If for whatever reason things don't work out in 2014, take MCCEE early on and try to get QE1 out of the way as well. To boost your chances in the US for 2015, do step 3 and do research.

Where did you get this information from?