please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobeavers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sorry to bother you guys with more questions about "the chances of being accepted into medical school" but....I have some.

I have applied, and i am busy trying to fill out the secondaries before they are sent to me. I will take the mcat again, but i just want to know if any school would grant me an interview. I feel once I interviewed, they would see I want this...more than you guys, hahah, just kiddin...
My brother died at 16, and I started taking things MUCH more seriously...children became a passion...
I have volunteered in orphanages in ukraine, and worked with doctors in the university hospital the ukraine.
I have worked with amareican MDs in the university hospital helping formulate treatment options for general practice docs there.
I have volunteered at a camp for disabled children in southern cal for 3 years.
I have volunteered in an orphanage in Ghana West africa and provided treatment education plans for preventing malaria in children there
presented my findings to university staff, faculty and community
board of directors for a non profit organization concerned with disabled youth

reasearch, shadowing, hospital volunteer work...and more

I had a few terms of about a 2.9 durring those terms i recieved an A in both anatomys, but...Cs in every other class I took...
then brother passed
mostly As
as in physics
b's and cs in orgo
As in physiology class
As in upper div bio classes
As in physiological psych classes
so my last few years were about a 3.8 overall 3.5 science
21 mcat B6 P7 V8 Q I was about to leave for africa and was preparing alot of things on malaria prevention...MCAT took a back seat to that...

thanks guys, i just want to know what the most likely schools for acceptance would be, i really really apreciate your honesty and help...i wont be discouraged, but i will have to start saving up for a KAPLAN course soon if you guys tell me i have no shot, hahah
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to me you're in good shape. Best thing I can tell you, is wait and see ...

Goodluck!

Thanks, Do you have any advice on what the most likely school would be for me. I know my numbers are very very low. But I am hoping that my volunteer activities would help outweigh some of that.
What are some more understanding schools as far as MCATs go:

PCOM
LECOM
WESTERN

Any help is so appreciated guys, thanks so much and i really love reading all the wonderful input that you all have

thanks agan,
mike

Members don't see this ad :)
You said that you have a 3.8 and 3.5 BCP. What are you worried about. I think you are competitive.

You will need to retake the MCAT as you already know. This time, put it first and do not put it on the backseat to anything. This one test can get you into medical school where you can launch many trips to Africa or anywhere else to make a difference. I hope you get in, we are rooting for you.

Try unecom,pscom,vcom,wsvom,lecom and azcom

Your MCAT is very low but the rest of your resume is excellent. If you apply right now you will probably get admissions somewhere or another, but it may not be the med school you prefer. So retaking the MCAT is a good decision on your part.

Ya ya, your MCAT is low, but I do not think that it will stop you from getting in. With everything else that you have going on in your life, along with your many accomplishments, it is adequate to get you in somewhere. It may not be your first choice, but medical school is medical school. The best medical school is the one that you get accepted to. I have a rather low MCAT and have interviewed at my first choice, TCOM, and have been accepted to my second choice, WVSOM. It can be done, good luck.

Canuck99 said:
Ya ya, your MCAT is low, but I do not think that it will stop you from getting in. With everything else that you have going on in your life, along with your many accomplishments, it is adequate to get you in somewhere. It may not be your first choice, but medical school is medical school. The best medical school is the one that you get accepted to. I have a rather low MCAT and have interviewed at my first choice, TCOM, and have been accepted to my second choice, WVSOM. It can be done, good luck.
Thanks so much guys, your suggestions are really helpful. I appreciate all your help! Just worried at this point, the waiting game is killin me....

apply to NYCOM and u have a shot. i know someone who got in with those stats. also stay in touch via email with the deans so they know u really want to be a DO.....

for UMDNJ-SOM you will need to def retake the MCAT...

but LECOM, NYCOM and WVSOM you might have a shot

r u retaking it?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned TOURO, I thought they were fairly easy to get into as well? No?

Let me know how things turned out.

gobeavers said:
Im sorry to bother you guys with more questions about "the chances of being accepted into medical school" but....I have some.

I have applied, and i am busy trying to fill out the secondaries before they are sent to me. I will take the mcat again, but i just want to know if any school would grant me an interview. I feel once I interviewed, they would see I want this...more than you guys, hahah, just kiddin...
My brother died at 16, and I started taking things MUCH more seriously...children became a passion...
I have volunteered in orphanages in ukraine, and worked with doctors in the university hospital the ukraine.
I have worked with amareican MDs in the university hospital helping formulate treatment options for general practice docs there.
I have volunteered at a camp for disabled children in southern cal for 3 years.
I have volunteered in an orphanage in Ghana West africa and provided treatment education plans for preventing malaria in children there
presented my findings to university staff, faculty and community
board of directors for a non profit organization concerned with disabled youth

reasearch, shadowing, hospital volunteer work...and more

I had a few terms of about a 2.9 durring those terms i recieved an A in both anatomys, but...Cs in every other class I took...
then brother passed
mostly As
as in physics
b's and cs in orgo
As in physiology class
As in upper div bio classes
As in physiological psych classes
so my last few years were about a 3.8 overall 3.5 science
21 mcat B6 P7 V8 Q I was about to leave for africa and was preparing alot of things on malaria prevention...MCAT took a back seat to that...

thanks guys, i just want to know what the most likely schools for acceptance would be, i really really apreciate your honesty and help...i wont be discouraged, but i will have to start saving up for a KAPLAN course soon if you guys tell me i have no shot, hahah
thanks